China “sending wrong item” scam

Starsky72
Contributor
Contributor

So....

1) item advertised on Facebook

2) You buy two of them, pay via PayPal $29.90

3) Item arrives, nothing like as described and is damaged

4) Seller offers small percentage as refund, I refuse.

5) Escalate the complaint in Paypal

5) PayPal state I need to send back, tracked, and the seller has to confirm delivery before a refund will be issued, before 4 January

6) Tracked postage costs more than I’d get in a refund

7) Seller wins..

I end up out of pocket with a broken item that is different in every way (size, materials, quality) from what I ordere, plus I ordered two and didn’t receive them

Paypal are allowing this scam to happen.  I should have lied and simply said I never eeceived it

Login to Me Too
171 REPLIES 171

HammYY
Contributor
Contributor
Paypal will accept the seller's tracking information that will show that the item was delivered. Simply returning the package will not get a refund. You need to file a dispute and follow Paypal's instructions ... & return item tracked, claiming costs from Paypal (register for 'return shipping on us').
Login to Me Too

Temp20201130c
Contributor
Contributor
Sounds like a comment of someone that thinks this is ok behavior. Paypal won't do nothing. You only can dispute w bank i wouldn't bother sending back you 2 paper facemasks etc they sent to scam w tracking. Dont open packaging if its not it, you can tell its not inside by reading package it will say whats inside from customs. So return to sender. I did it just fine, my bank recovered my money. Paypal said its ok to support fraudulent activity from china even w clear evidence.
Login to Me Too

crumblerumble
Contributor
Contributor
How do register for ‘return shipping on us’?
Login to Me Too

HammYY
Contributor
Contributor
crumblerumble, login into your paypal account and you should find an option to click to activate. In the UK it is limited to 12 returns/year and max refund on postage of £15/item. I returned an item to China with a tracked and signed for service which cost £12. https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns
Login to Me Too

crumblerumble
Contributor
Contributor
How would you know you received the wrong or faulty item if you return to sender without opening? I’m in the same boat, although I received something completely different. I did keep the packaging though.
Login to Me Too

Temp20201130b
Contributor
Contributor

I told them from my first email that I knew they were using the ‘bait and switch’ trick. 

Login to Me Too

boler4
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't closed the complaint but I can't open it because it says case closed

Login to Me Too

boler4
Contributor
Contributor

Not familiar with ic gov complaint

Login to Me Too

Lubear32
Contributor
Contributor
Hello this happened to me as well. I ordered Eternal light guardian angels off a Facebook ad. I purchased3 of them and had nothing but issues from the very beginning. When they finally arrived they were not what I ordered but cheap garden lights which were certainly not worth the $19.99 US each I paid. Ended up costing me $83 Company replied that I should sell them to friends and offered a 10% discount on my next order. Truly I will never ever buy from them again. I am trying to get a refund wish me luck
Login to Me Too

Paypal is aware, they don't care and won't issue refunds
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.