Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

China “sending wrong item” scam

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: China “sending wrong item” scam

I sent photo's of an envelope with said tracking number on it...had a piece of Styrofoam in it....

Clearly pay pal could see it was NOT a Lounge chair,yet they sided with the seller,

cause seller said I received the tracking number with Merchandise 😞

What kinda people work for them,I have no faith that pay pal is there for us !

They helped on ripping me off... yes I did turn to my Credit Card Co. for help !

yes you may be right,on wrong Item sent.

Highlighted
Contributor

@kernowlass - this happened to me and I was NOT sucessful. Pure scam from the start to finish. Including PayPal's part. 

Highlighted
Contributor

I have been stung too. Ordered a telescopic ladder and received a cheap satchel. It’s a racket it happened to my sister too. If PayPal won’t refund me in full I won’t be using them again.
Highlighted
Contributor

Paypal will refund the postage to you. Go to the Activity Page on your account and select the item in dispute. When it opens you should see a heading on the left hand side toward the bottom that says Request a Shipping Refund. Select that and it will give instructions on what to do. Basically, you have to package the item, pay for postage, take a photo of the package showing the address it is going to and the postage price. Upload those photos and Paypal will refund in a few days.

Highlighted
Contributor

I have been stung by this too.  Bottom line is don't order anything from China, and don't expect PP to protect you. The modus operandi is to rip off some other website's content, video, pictures and post it on FB as their own but at a really cheap price. 

Once you click order, PP will refuse to do anything even though you immediately asked to cancel on the same day.  Don't trust all the money back or cancellation policies shown on the website or FB page, its also ripped from another legitimate company and the scammer has no intent to honor anything.

It just frustrates me that PP does not acknowledge the terms posted for full refund and cancellation and ask you to "work it out with the seller", they think the scammer will honor it?  Its so stupid, if the seller is honest we wouldn't be here in the first place. 

The scammer ship you some rubbish with tracking and use that as proof to PP that they have mailed the item. PP will insist that you either accept the item or mail it back.  I ordered a laser engraver and the scammer sent me a fake ring.

When you look at the return address, it is completely in Chinese and when translated leads to a village somewhere in the boondocks with no street name and building number.  

The seller will then say they never received it, and dispute the return. Or the seller will claim they sent you a real item and you are trying to scam them by sending back a fake ring.

It goes on and on until you give up.  

In a nutshell, DON'T buy from any Facebook advert, many of them are China scams and don't use PP.  Many of the shopping platforms like eBay or Amazon have better buyer protection. Use PP only to transfer money to family or friends, not for buying stuff.  I used Taobao.com the shopping platform in China (they don;t have amazon.com but this is much better) as well and use google translate to find many of the items resold on Facebook at 10x markup.  They have good English speaking customer service and act fast for any fraud.

Highlighted
Contributor

My claim didn't even allow time for the return to arrive. There is no way I can ship something from northern Maine to China in less than two weeks. Notified on 9/15/20 - must be RECEIVED by 9/24/20. Not possible, therefore guaranteeing that I can't get any sort of resolution. Such bull. 

Highlighted
Contributor

My return to China only took 4 days. It did take 12 weeks to arrive, presumably to allow the scam to be more effective. Register for Paypal's "return shipping on us", return the item and claim return postage costs from Paypal. Then hopefully your dispute ends in your favour.
Highlighted
Contributor

Snap - exactly the same for me. Item received was not what I paid for. Cheap item arrived in a padded envelope with no accompanying documents. To make it worse the seller was negotiating with me and PayPal at the same time. Was given 10 days to return item - which by the way the seller made a point of telling me, was at my own expense. Scam being perpetuated by PayPal
Highlighted
Contributor

I agree 100%. PayPal is complicit in this. I’m disgusted that they side with the fraudsters. I’ll never use PayPal again. They are on a par with the fraudsters.

Highlighted

I also had this problem, I found out too late as I ordered more than 5 orders from China, mostly thru facebook ads and all via paypal. My friend just told me he had similar experiences and that prompted me to search for this article. Ebay orders at same period from China had no problems. Don't trust facebook ads, don't trust paypal for future orders, because all they need is a shipping confirmation from sender, don't care if you receive the merchandise or not. PayPal, no good.