China “sending wrong item” scam

Starsky72
Contributor
Contributor

So....

1) item advertised on Facebook

2) You buy two of them, pay via PayPal $29.90

3) Item arrives, nothing like as described and is damaged

4) Seller offers small percentage as refund, I refuse.

5) Escalate the complaint in Paypal

5) PayPal state I need to send back, tracked, and the seller has to confirm delivery before a refund will be issued, before 4 January

6) Tracked postage costs more than I’d get in a refund

7) Seller wins..

I end up out of pocket with a broken item that is different in every way (size, materials, quality) from what I ordere, plus I ordered two and didn’t receive them

Paypal are allowing this scam to happen.  I should have lied and simply said I never eeceived it

Login to Me Too
171 REPLIES 171

Jah59
Contributor
Contributor
It’s put me off using PayPal again
Login to Me Too

CatGoodwin
Contributor
Contributor

Same here! I was informed today that I would have to return the item (at my expense) and have it to them by 9/24/20 ... this isn't even remotely possible!! The seller knew this. I ordered a Queen size blanket green and got a smaller than Twin size pink blanket. 100% different material than what was advertised. I am furious. The seller even said that return shipping would likely be more than I paid so it "probably wasn't worth it" ... so obviously a scam. How can PayPal allow this?? Isn't the protection they offer the incentive to even use PayPal at all? Complete B/S. 

Login to Me Too

Temp20201011b
Completely agree. PayPal are not offering the protection they purport to offer, and allowing scammers to prosper. Will never buy using PayPal in this way again.
Login to Me Too

Di-dee
It's put me off as well. I'm disputing now but I'm refusing to send the wrong items back as it's clear it's a scam and I am not going to be down return postage as well as my original money
Login to Me Too

Bebul
Contributor
Contributor
Dealing with this now, used PayPal Credit to purchase. PayPal says seller has agreed to full refund upon receipt of wrong item. Return info received is in Chinese! Can’t get through to PayPal even though I have copies of others with same scam
Login to Me Too

Di-dee
Yes Bebul! My case is exactly the same....how on earth did a Chinese return address even make sense to the resolution staff??? and less that a week to have it back to China to an address I cannot read!!!
Login to Me Too

Chrissieb2
Contributor
Contributor
I received an item that is drastically different and completely unusable. To get a refund for a £23.99 jumper it is going to cost £47.99 to post to China. What is the point? I am going round in circles with a PayPal.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chrissieb2 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>

PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Chrissieb2
Contributor
Contributor
Many thanks. I think this one is going to bite me in the **bleep**. I’m livid because the purchase address was UK and returns inChina!
Login to Me Too

Cherry1953
Contributor
Contributor

Could not agree more with what you are saying. It is absolutely ridiculous that PayPal is not taking our side with this situation.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.