China “sending wrong item” scam

Starsky72
Contributor
Contributor

So....

1) item advertised on Facebook

2) You buy two of them, pay via PayPal $29.90

3) Item arrives, nothing like as described and is damaged

4) Seller offers small percentage as refund, I refuse.

5) Escalate the complaint in Paypal

5) PayPal state I need to send back, tracked, and the seller has to confirm delivery before a refund will be issued, before 4 January

6) Tracked postage costs more than I’d get in a refund

7) Seller wins..

I end up out of pocket with a broken item that is different in every way (size, materials, quality) from what I ordere, plus I ordered two and didn’t receive them

Paypal are allowing this scam to happen.  I should have lied and simply said I never eeceived it

Login to Me Too
171 REPLIES 171

Cherry1953
Contributor
Contributor

Could not agree more. But how do we stop this and get our money back. It is disgusting what PayPal are doing

Login to Me Too

Tyley
We have to make a United front and not order from China! They do not have to pay any shipping to send this crap out, their government pays. They don’t care if it’s wrong they just make more worry-free!
Login to Me Too

savinir
Contributor
Contributor

I think I'm in the same situation!  I ordered a wig from a seller on TikTok (should have known) they told me they refunded my money on September 1st but I don't see anything in my account. I reach out to them and tell them this and now they're telling me to close the dispute with PayPal in order to get my money back. That makes no sense

Login to Me Too

frogmom37
Contributor
Contributor

I think a screen shot or copy of an email from the seller would help immensely when you fight this with PayPal, but then again - PayPal did nothing for me but tell me to spend more money to ship the item back to China than I would receive as a refund (assuming they got it and didn't claim it was lost or damaged).  Sorry you are in this position.  Visa is the way to go for foreign transactions.

Login to Me Too

savinir
Contributor
Contributor
Ugh yeah definitely using only VISA moving forward for foreign transactions. I attached screenshots of the emails and their claims to me. I also had to spend $30 sending this back ugh
Login to Me Too

boler4
Contributor
Contributor

OMG why wont PayPal listen and read the information I'm telling them.  I ordered a backpack and China sent a package of masks.  They use the tracking number of the package to say it has been delivered and I should check with friends and neighbors.  I don't know who I'm more angry with damn China or PayPal. I have all my emails from them, its driving me crazy.  They keep asking for my email address and other info, when we are already getting emails from each other.  Some one has to do something about this.  PayPal is so limited in options my case has been closed and its like a Brick wall.

If I could mail all the information I have and PayPal would read it, there is no doubt that this problem could be solved for me and others.

Come on PayPal do what you promise.

Login to Me Too

Temp20201130b
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve had the same experience. It’s as if PayPal can’t understand English! They pretend they don’t understand the problem, and they insist that you simply send it back (to where it didn’t come from, and at 10 times the expense).

it’s bad enough that we get ripped off, but for PayPal to side with the fraudsters is ridiculous. I’ve been with PP for 20 years, and I’m done with them. 

Login to Me Too

prior59
Contributor
Contributor

I too am done with pay pal they are  worse than the scammers.

Login to Me Too

Temp20201130b
Contributor
Contributor

Me too. I’m fed up with them, and I’ve been with them since 2000. They side with the fraudsters rather than their innocent purchasers. I’m disgusted with them. They’ll never get another purchase from me. 

Login to Me Too

CraigP20
Contributor
Contributor
Agree PayPal keep sending back utter rubbish to my complaint about the purchase being wrong. I’m going to log a complaint with the ombudsman they are just being unhelpful
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.