SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor

China “sending wrong item” scam

So....

1) item advertised on Facebook

2) You buy two of them, pay via PayPal $29.90

3) Item arrives, nothing like as described and is damaged

4) Seller offers small percentage as refund, I refuse.

5) Escalate the complaint in Paypal

5) PayPal state I need to send back, tracked, and the seller has to confirm delivery before a refund will be issued, before 4 January

6) Tracked postage costs more than I’d get in a refund

7) Seller wins..

I end up out of pocket with a broken item that is different in every way (size, materials, quality) from what I ordere, plus I ordered two and didn’t receive them

Paypal are allowing this scam to happen.  I should have lied and simply said I never eeceived it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

Re: China “sending wrong item” scam

@Starsky72 

It's how PayPal resolves SNAD claims. Return for a refund. In the dispute, they can't force sellers to provide return shipping or refund more than what you paid.

Register for PayPal return shipping refund for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If you do not like the decision, forfeit the PayPal dispute altogether and invoke your cc chargeback rights and resolve it exclusively with your cc issuer. Sellers are not covered for SNADs and get charged a chargeback fee.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

76 REPLIES 76
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@Starsky72 

It's how PayPal resolves SNAD claims. Return for a refund. In the dispute, they can't force sellers to provide return shipping or refund more than what you paid.

Register for PayPal return shipping refund for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If you do not like the decision, forfeit the PayPal dispute altogether and invoke your cc chargeback rights and resolve it exclusively with your cc issuer. Sellers are not covered for SNADs and get charged a chargeback fee.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor

And these sellers know the system and are playing it...

im left in a no win situation, PayPal MUST be aware of this issue, it must be happening so often. 
The credit card side of things would be a good idea IF I hadn’t paid with PayPal balance 

it’s simply wrong, everyone knows it, we’re being fleeced and PayPal are allowing it 

Highlighted
Contributor

I sent PayPal so much documentation on my situation. I ordered four sweaters.  I received a fake Cartier necklace (clearly marked Stainless Steel, and a genuine FAKE according to Cartier) with "certificates of authenticity" that were laughable.  I also received an equally fake Burberry scarf, with documentation that actually misspelled "Burberry" wrong several times.  Sending the worthless items back was incredibly expensive.  In the US, a merchant is liable to send the items we order, right?  If they don't, they eat the cost of what they send, send a call tag and have the package picked up, and then refund the customer.  Why do Chinese merchants feel it is the customer's fault when they **bleep** up? (probably intentionally)   Because PayPal allows them to!! 

Highlighted
Contributor

Absolutely PayPal allows AND protects known scammers. I’m just disgusted!!
Highlighted
Contributor

I think I'm in the same situation!  I ordered a wig from a seller on TikTok (should have known) they told me they refunded my money on September 1st but I don't see anything in my account. I reach out to them and tell them this and now they're telling me to close the dispute with PayPal in order to get my money back. That makes no sense

Highlighted
Contributor

I think a screen shot or copy of an email from the seller would help immensely when you fight this with PayPal, but then again - PayPal did nothing for me but tell me to spend more money to ship the item back to China than I would receive as a refund (assuming they got it and didn't claim it was lost or damaged).  Sorry you are in this position.  Visa is the way to go for foreign transactions.

Highlighted
Contributor

Ugh yeah definitely using only VISA moving forward for foreign transactions. I attached screenshots of the emails and their claims to me. I also had to spend $30 sending this back ugh
Highlighted
Contributor

Do not close the dispute.  These scammers are liars and have no serious intent to refund you.  Keep pushing PP to resolve this, keep hounding them.  Make an ic3.gov complaint and show this to the seller and PP.  You got to put pressure on them and PP.

Highlighted
Contributor

We don’t have ic3 in the UK I am wondering who else I can complain too maybe I will write to the ombudsman