China Bait and Switch Scam

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

Happy New Year All

After seeing an advertisement on internet for Twisted Car (Christmas Offer| Gesture sensing Stunt Remote Control Car, I thought I would have a look. The controls where worn on hand and activated the car moving them forward back and side to side doing crazy stuff. I purchased the cars and paid for shipping from the Shaco Store according to the invoice -SKU: HX1900162KCCH, as I felt assured that the seller was reputable seeing that PayPal was attached as a payment method. The seller’s info from PayPal is Swopply Technology Co.,Ltd and in another place the name kassadin.store appears.

When the cars finally arrived, they were not even close to what was advertised. I contacted PayPal and launched a claim in the resolution center. Emails start back and forth with PayPal as the go between. The seller agreed to take back the items and I was instructed by PayPal to ship items back and get a tracking number and receipt for return shipment, the parcel needed to be back by a certain date approx. 15 days, the shipping out too longer than that. I tried using our account at work to ship with other services but I will only post Canada Post’s charges of $96.37, as they were the most reasonable. This amount to return items that cost $34.97. PayPal did offer to help out with return shipping with an offer of $30.00. Do the math? If I ship back the items and even get my money back, PayPal kicks in 30 bucks, it would still have cost me an additional $31.40 and I end up with nothing but heartache… HMMM…. now it is making sense. What a scam. Thinking about this if 10,000 people like me purchased these items and tried (stressed tried) to return them, most that have a brain would just forget about it and take the lost. I sent PayPal a message stating I was not going to provide a tracking number and someone from PayPal may want to call me about this. Long story short , I called them, went through how things went down between the seller and myself and was told that PayPal does not Vet (investigate) the seller that any scam artist can set up shop (not quite the language) there you have it this seller probably just made $349,700.00 for what likely cost the a quarter of that amount after looking at the items they sent instead of what was ordered., clear profit $262,275.00.  Thinking I may need to move to china and start up a business…. Don’t know what do you think.  Additionally, I made another purchase 3 or 4 days later, ☹ oH oH the same seller, when that item arrived, BINGO same thing not what was ordered, same run around, send item back, tracking number, by a certain date. Another call to the poor person at PayPal who patiently listening to me harp away, and try as they may cannot really do anything other than tag the issue and bring it to the attention of his/her superior. All to which I as the buyer will never be informed of what happens to the seller when things like this go on. BEWARE FRIENDS DON’T BUY FROM CHINA would be my suggestion.

As for PayPal, I fully understand that they have done all they can to return things to square one for me, I still feel the company has a lot to offer for sellers and buyers alike. I agree there is really nothing they can do about dishonest seller’s wishing to bait and switch items I hopes that buyer will not spend more good money to recoup bad. I do feel that PayPal could be more open with the PayPal community as a whole and publish what happens to wayward sellers that obviously don’t give a hoot about ethics. So buyers like myself can check to see if a seller is legit or not before a purchase is made… Open to your thoughts.

Login to Me Too
65 REPLIES 65

PeonyDays
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me. The item I purchased was shipped to me from southern California.  Seller sent item that is completely different from what I had purchased - I have proof as they sent me a receipt for the the item description and product image and what they sent me is completely a different design in a much more smaller size in the wrong color and material - pure bait and switch, which is illegal in US and PayPal condones bait and switches and make the buyer pay for return shipping on a bait and switch item because that is how they ruled in the Resolution Center.  Instead of shipping item back to southern California, I am given an address in ShenZhen, China to send the package back to within 8 days which for international shipping is impossible to meet the deadline - so in other words not only did the seller **bleep** me over, PayPal is complicit.   Not only did the seller enacted bait and switch, PayPal's ruling compounded the distress once again victimizing the victim.  In my messaging in the PayPal Resolution Center, I was explicit that I am not responsible for return shipping as it was not my mistake.  PayPal's ruling condones and make it open season for scammers to victimize consumers.  The amount is not much but it is the legality and legality of what PayPal did in their complicit role that irks me.  In this day and age for a major corporation such as PayPal to victimize consumers is deplorable.  Any class action lawyers want to take this on, I am game.

Login to Me Too

CCC62
Contributor
Contributor

Tell Paypal you are returning the item you received and that you need the first and last name of the recipient in China for the Customs Form (required or China will not let the item into the country). They won't/can't provide this and Paypal should refund your money.

Login to Me Too

CCC62
Contributor
Contributor

This recently happened to me and I thought I would lose money but I did not! Maybe I outscammed them but because I was going to be out $83.15 I decided it was worth the $27.25 to send the crap they sent me back to China (generously valued at $4 at most). I was going to send it First Class International and expected it to take a long time to get my money, if any, back. So as I was preparing the crap for shipment I messaged Paypal to get a first and last name for the CUSTOMS FORM, which is REQUIRED BY CHINA or they will not let the item into the country (business names are not acceptable). I received an email from Paypal saying they refunded all of my money and I do not have to send the item back because of similar "transactions" by this "merchant". I hope that this helps anyone else that was scammed by the Chinese and using Paypal to get your money! And I would also file a complaint with Paypal. This should not be allowed and you should get your money back. Again, I hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

Sopi719
Contributor
Contributor

This has happen to twice in the last two month and both times the seller sent a return  address in Chinese or a language that I couldn’t even translate. I keep all my emails and screenshot all my purchases.  The dispute use to be easy, but since the COVID the scams are unbelievable, I’m urge paypal knows we being scram, this return to china crap , This last purchase I look on website before ordering and they state they ship out of the USA , but it was all a fraud , I order a 50lb bucket of chlorine and got a coin purchase shipped from LA, Calif,  but now they want me to return to china sent a address in Chinese, I had request shipping label in English and if I had to return it I was putting in a claim for return shipping charge.  I been with paypal for over twenty years since eBay start .  Because I love the concept of protection from internet fraud .  But it looks know they own by CCP and it’s time to find another processor.  Getting ready to close many paypal account and stop ordering online , going to shop local and pay in cash .

Login to Me Too

Sopi719
Contributor
Contributor

This has happen to twice in the last two month and both times the seller sent a return  address in Chinese or a language that I couldn’t even translate. I keep all my emails and screenshot all my purchases.  The dispute use to be easy, but since the COVID the scams are unbelievable, I’m thinking paypal knows we being scram, this return to china crap , This last purchase I look on website before ordering and they state they ship out of the USA , but it was all a fraud . I order a 50lb bucket of chlorine and got a coin purchase shipped from LA, Calif,  but now they want me to return to china sent a address in Chinese I think.  I've request shipping label in English and if I had to return it I was putting in a claim for return shipping charge.  I been with paypal for over twenty years since eBay start .  Because I love the concept of protection from internet fraud .  But it looks know they own by CCP and it’s time to find another processor.  Getting ready to close my paypal account and stop ordering online , going to shop local and pay in cash .

Login to Me Too

Caveman930
Contributor
Contributor

Unbelievable how PayPal allows these scammers to operate. They are now posting adds on Yahoo pages looking for victims. Any time you see these adds click them on so they will be charged and then click do not like add and check box stating it is a scam. They get charged each time their add is clicked on. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.