China Bait and Switch Scam

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

Happy New Year All

After seeing an advertisement on internet for Twisted Car (Christmas Offer| Gesture sensing Stunt Remote Control Car, I thought I would have a look. The controls where worn on hand and activated the car moving them forward back and side to side doing crazy stuff. I purchased the cars and paid for shipping from the Shaco Store according to the invoice -SKU: HX1900162KCCH, as I felt assured that the seller was reputable seeing that PayPal was attached as a payment method. The seller’s info from PayPal is Swopply Technology Co.,Ltd and in another place the name kassadin.store appears.

When the cars finally arrived, they were not even close to what was advertised. I contacted PayPal and launched a claim in the resolution center. Emails start back and forth with PayPal as the go between. The seller agreed to take back the items and I was instructed by PayPal to ship items back and get a tracking number and receipt for return shipment, the parcel needed to be back by a certain date approx. 15 days, the shipping out too longer than that. I tried using our account at work to ship with other services but I will only post Canada Post’s charges of $96.37, as they were the most reasonable. This amount to return items that cost $34.97. PayPal did offer to help out with return shipping with an offer of $30.00. Do the math? If I ship back the items and even get my money back, PayPal kicks in 30 bucks, it would still have cost me an additional $31.40 and I end up with nothing but heartache… HMMM…. now it is making sense. What a scam. Thinking about this if 10,000 people like me purchased these items and tried (stressed tried) to return them, most that have a brain would just forget about it and take the lost. I sent PayPal a message stating I was not going to provide a tracking number and someone from PayPal may want to call me about this. Long story short , I called them, went through how things went down between the seller and myself and was told that PayPal does not Vet (investigate) the seller that any scam artist can set up shop (not quite the language) there you have it this seller probably just made $349,700.00 for what likely cost the a quarter of that amount after looking at the items they sent instead of what was ordered., clear profit $262,275.00.  Thinking I may need to move to china and start up a business…. Don’t know what do you think.  Additionally, I made another purchase 3 or 4 days later, ☹ oH oH the same seller, when that item arrived, BINGO same thing not what was ordered, same run around, send item back, tracking number, by a certain date. Another call to the poor person at PayPal who patiently listening to me harp away, and try as they may cannot really do anything other than tag the issue and bring it to the attention of his/her superior. All to which I as the buyer will never be informed of what happens to the seller when things like this go on. BEWARE FRIENDS DON’T BUY FROM CHINA would be my suggestion.

As for PayPal, I fully understand that they have done all they can to return things to square one for me, I still feel the company has a lot to offer for sellers and buyers alike. I agree there is really nothing they can do about dishonest seller’s wishing to bait and switch items I hopes that buyer will not spend more good money to recoup bad. I do feel that PayPal could be more open with the PayPal community as a whole and publish what happens to wayward sellers that obviously don’t give a hoot about ethics. So buyers like myself can check to see if a seller is legit or not before a purchase is made… Open to your thoughts.

Login to Me Too
65 REPLIES 65

9517Lisa
Contributor
Contributor
Will do.
Login to Me Too

unfairpractice
Contributor
Contributor

Go to the BBB or your local Attorney General office. 

Login to Me Too

Blondenblue
Contributor
Contributor

I did.  i filed detailed complaints with the FCC and The FTC and the Kansas Attorney General and the BBB for the China scam company and Paypal.  

I don't like being cheated.  I share with everyone that I meet that both of these companies have failed to live up to the minimum standards of ethical business practices in my opinion.    I hope that i save one person from falling for the same scam as I did.  First by a company that I didn't know then by Paypal whom I trusted to have my back in the purchase process.

Login to Me Too

thebobwire
The advertisement seen on Facebook ,website being " whitemax.stores" is also a fraud. And when money sent through the billing company is " Three kingdom technology co., limited" beware!!
Login to Me Too

MsMac56
Contributor
Contributor

I think there is a lot of changing of names for several Chinese companies.  They have figured out how to scam using PayPal, and it's now prolific.  If you notice, most of the items are very similar.  Also, if the price is too good to be true, then it is most definitely a scheme.

Login to Me Too

thebobwire
The advertisement seen on Facebook ,website being " whitemax.stores" is also a fraud. And when money sent through the billing company is " Three kingdom technology co., limited" beware!!
Login to Me Too

The last day��50%OFF��HD Graphics Drawing Digital Tablet Monitor - DIGITAL TABLET PRESSURE SENSITIVE PEN

Get a plastic pen, no tablet, no instructions, no packing slip. Worth a small fraction if that.

Deliberate. Refuses refund or correction.

Lies like Trump.

Now wants return to address that is just a jumble of Chinese characters, at my expense. Shipped from a New Jersey USA address!

As shipped, no tabletAs shipped, no tablet

As Shipped, No Tablet

Login to Me Too

Pargirl
Contributor
Contributor

I too was scammed by this company. The picture and description was of pet stairs. There was a tiny picture of a leash( that you’d never notice nor  was it described) that was sent to me after 6 weeks. When I wrote describing that this was the wrong merchandise, I get an email back that I bought the leash. Buyer beware. ! Try to determine where merchandise is really coming from.

Login to Me Too

Fred6951

Me, too.  Facebook has an incredible number of scam ads, and they worry about political crap.

Login to Me Too

Temp20201004b
Contributor
Contributor
Had this same problem with a different item. They offer to return 40% of your money because they know it’s too expensive to ship to China. Shame on Facebook for allowing this company to do business.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.