China Bait and Switch Scam

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

Happy New Year All

After seeing an advertisement on internet for Twisted Car (Christmas Offer| Gesture sensing Stunt Remote Control Car, I thought I would have a look. The controls where worn on hand and activated the car moving them forward back and side to side doing crazy stuff. I purchased the cars and paid for shipping from the Shaco Store according to the invoice -SKU: HX1900162KCCH, as I felt assured that the seller was reputable seeing that PayPal was attached as a payment method. The seller’s info from PayPal is Swopply Technology Co.,Ltd and in another place the name kassadin.store appears.

When the cars finally arrived, they were not even close to what was advertised. I contacted PayPal and launched a claim in the resolution center. Emails start back and forth with PayPal as the go between. The seller agreed to take back the items and I was instructed by PayPal to ship items back and get a tracking number and receipt for return shipment, the parcel needed to be back by a certain date approx. 15 days, the shipping out too longer than that. I tried using our account at work to ship with other services but I will only post Canada Post’s charges of $96.37, as they were the most reasonable. This amount to return items that cost $34.97. PayPal did offer to help out with return shipping with an offer of $30.00. Do the math? If I ship back the items and even get my money back, PayPal kicks in 30 bucks, it would still have cost me an additional $31.40 and I end up with nothing but heartache… HMMM…. now it is making sense. What a scam. Thinking about this if 10,000 people like me purchased these items and tried (stressed tried) to return them, most that have a brain would just forget about it and take the lost. I sent PayPal a message stating I was not going to provide a tracking number and someone from PayPal may want to call me about this. Long story short , I called them, went through how things went down between the seller and myself and was told that PayPal does not Vet (investigate) the seller that any scam artist can set up shop (not quite the language) there you have it this seller probably just made $349,700.00 for what likely cost the a quarter of that amount after looking at the items they sent instead of what was ordered., clear profit $262,275.00.  Thinking I may need to move to china and start up a business…. Don’t know what do you think.  Additionally, I made another purchase 3 or 4 days later, ☹ oH oH the same seller, when that item arrived, BINGO same thing not what was ordered, same run around, send item back, tracking number, by a certain date. Another call to the poor person at PayPal who patiently listening to me harp away, and try as they may cannot really do anything other than tag the issue and bring it to the attention of his/her superior. All to which I as the buyer will never be informed of what happens to the seller when things like this go on. BEWARE FRIENDS DON’T BUY FROM CHINA would be my suggestion.

As for PayPal, I fully understand that they have done all they can to return things to square one for me, I still feel the company has a lot to offer for sellers and buyers alike. I agree there is really nothing they can do about dishonest seller’s wishing to bait and switch items I hopes that buyer will not spend more good money to recoup bad. I do feel that PayPal could be more open with the PayPal community as a whole and publish what happens to wayward sellers that obviously don’t give a hoot about ethics. So buyers like myself can check to see if a seller is legit or not before a purchase is made… Open to your thoughts.

Login to Me Too
65 REPLIES 65

MsMac56
Contributor
Contributor

I recently had a very similar problem in December of which PayPal found in my favor, but wanted the switched item returned at my expense.  The shipping estimate for the small item was about $20 from the US.  My cash layout would then ben $57 of which I would get back $37 if they actually received the returned item.  I don't have any faith that the Chinese company would be honest.  Today I received a tiny set of plastic shelving in place of tall folding shelves that I had originally ordered.  Supposedly a different Chinese company so I guess this is becoming a new scam.  I will go through the dispute journey once again, but will not send it back.  I, too, had faith that PayPal payment was an indication of a company's integrity.  This is a hard lesson, but DO NOT buy directly from China.  You will lose your money.  Sorry you went through this, too, FriendlyGiant.

Login to Me Too

Gasmanz
Contributor
Contributor

If PayPal charged your credit card for the payment of the transaction then go to your credit card company. I found my credit card company very helpful in the past with online fraud.

I am going through the process of trying to get a refund from PayPal at the moment for a Bait and Switch sale via <removed> site, which appears to be a typical cash grab site. Their service email address <removed> is fake as all emails to it bounce back. PayPal give the seller 10 days to respond to the dispute. If they don't respond PayPal will refund the purchase amount. I hope they don't as it will only drag this out more.

Login to Me Too

MsMac56
Contributor
Contributor

No, I didn't use a credit card, but I thank you for the advice.  So frustrating that there are so many people out there that need to harm others.  I feel it is increasing at a very rapid rate.

Login to Me Too

Vernie6
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me also. 

Login to Me Too

Gasmanz
Contributor
Contributor
So here's a progress report on my transaction. The seller offered me a US$15 partial refund which I refused. I sent PayPal an email with my case number as they don't accept any correspondence via the website unless they ask you for it. I sent them the website links for the scammers and links to the real product which they were now obviously not really selling. I also sent them a picture of the product I received. Don't know if they actually read it but a few days later I got an email from PayPal demanding more information within 3 days or they would likely find in favour of the seller. So I went to the PayPal Resolutions page and now I have the option to upload info and attachments. So I have done what they asked for but the scammers have taken down their original website and created it on a new domain with a different look, but selling the same products. I'll update this post when I hear back from PayPal.
Login to Me Too

MsMac56
Contributor
Contributor

The same happened to me.  The link to my information and the original item was switched to new items.  For my second order I kept a screenshot of all information.  And I got offered the $15 refund after they received the switched item at $20 postage.  Tell me they haven’t figured this scam out.  Time for PayPal to get serious with them.

Login to Me Too

llt57
Contributor
Contributor
Same story/different verse. Purchased an item that was not remotely the same item I received. Took a picture of the item and sent a picture of what was advertised to PayPal. I explained the bait and switch. After the song and dance with emailing the seller, I was given an offer of $2 or a $5 certificate for their store. I refused, was instructed by Pay Pal to send the item back at my expense. Just checked and found out the case was not in my favor. Now I am out $45, return postage and no item. How can this be right?
Login to Me Too

Gasmanz
Contributor
Contributor
It seems like someone needs to inform the Banks and Credit Card companies that PayPal are complicit with these Chinese fraudsters. If they refuse to find in my favour I'm definitely taking this up with my Credit Card provider. If PayPal have access to your bank account to pay for these transactions, then they are committing a fraud when accessing your account which must be breaking a law. Check with your bank.
Login to Me Too

Gasmanz
Contributor
Contributor
Well it turns out that someone at PayPal has some common sense. I'm getting a refund for my "purchase". It probably has a lot to do with the sellers website mysteriously disappearing and all the details I had captured and submitted. I hope some of you can also get a refund.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.