Charged a day early for a subscription trial and then threatened if I didn't cancel my dispute!

misslucybear
Contributor
Contributor

I made the mistake of trying a "free" seven day trial from this grammar correction company called Outwrite Pro, it was a Google chrome app.  I then came to find out that my Paypal account was charged $119.40 on the morning of day seven at 4.14am when I was asleep like most people.  Thus I didn't even get the full seventh day of the free trial and I had decided I was going to cancel it because it did not do the things it claimed to do.  It was basically a substandard spell checker that I can get for free and not even worth close to the exorbitant amount they charge.   Additionally, their free trial sign up made it look like a $9.99 per month charge.   

I contacted the company who said "we don't give refunds".  I then opened my dispute with Paypal.  Well it turned out that this company starting making threats towards me if I didn't close the case.  They demanded that I do so because trust them I will never win and then they might think about a refund because chargebacks cost them money (it seems like they must have a few of them going on).  I told them to contact me through the Paypal case and no I want my money back, I had uninstalled their app on that same day seven, it was not the wonder product that they described it to be and I don't want it.  Instead of contacting me through Paypal of course they continued to harass me after I had told them to leave me alone.  At one point the owner guy said okay we will cancel your subscription but didn't refund my money!  So cancelled subscription and charged for a year.  And then they made up a FAKE report showing my grammar score dated the week after I had cancelled trying to make it look like I was using this app and told me that I apparently don't know how to uninstall my app, here are my results for using it and they will send it to Paypal and win their case.  I was so horrified, I have never dealt with a company this blatantly unsavory, I reported them to Paypal, Google and the FTC.  They are located in Australia which also makes things even more difficult.

I have been trying to find from the paypal an email address where I can forward this correspondence and also evidence from Google that I never used this app after day seven and it was uninstalled  straight from my computer.  I have left messages for Paypal asking them where to send this but I haven't gotten the email of where to forward this and this company has now responded to the claim, and they obviously have no problem with fraud, lying and theft.  Does anybody know where I can do this - I am scared they are going to straight up steal my money!

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Nia9006
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem! They sent me an email saying that my trial was about to end in 24hours and they charged me well before the time the email mentioned, in fact they charged my Paypal at 4:00AM as well. To top things off, they haven't sent me any confirmation mail saying that I am now a pro member, probably because they cannot do so till the 24hrs is up. I am appalled at their service.

Did Paypal help you resolve it?

Login to Me Too

misslucybear
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, Paypal totally helped me resolve it and I won the case.  I am assuming you are referring to Outwrite (Gradeproof) as well, one of the shadiest companies I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.   Even if it is a different company, it is completely illegal for them to do this.  Also,  when I first opened my dispute, I made the mistake of filling it under the wrong reason and Outwrite took advantage of that and I had lost.  Luckily, when I called Paypal they really helped me out by reopening the case and showing me the correct way to file the dispute.  So make sure you file it for the reason " Canceled preapproved payment", and I think it is best to call Paypal and have a representative help you do it.  I also reported Outwrite to the FTC which I encourage you to do also and reviewed them on Trustpilot.com.  I have no respect for these kinds of scammers and they need to stop taking advantage of people.   Good luck and don't let any of these companies steal your money under false pretense.

Login to Me Too

Nia9006
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it is the same grammar correction app. I am really happy Paypal helped you win the case. I did file it under "Cancelled pre-approved payment", I am waiting for Paypal to review the case and send it to the Outwrite team for their response. 

Login to Me Too

misslucybear
Contributor
Contributor

There is absolutely no reason why you should not win your case too.  Seven days means seven days and let me tell you those Outwrite people wrote me some nasty unprofessional and childish emails.  Along with threats saying how they were going to win and also trying to trick me with the old "we can't refund you until you close the case with Paypal" scam.  Never close your Paypal case!  Also, make sure that you have completely uninstalled their app and don't use it at all again because Paypal will want proof of this and Outwrite will try to use it to win the case.  Good luck, I'm glad you are not just letting them have your money, please post and let me know how it goes.  And if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Login to Me Too

JadeH95
Contributor
Contributor

Can I ask how you did this on paypal? I have had the exact same issue with the same company and very stressed! Thank you

Login to Me Too

misslucybear
Contributor
Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear you are dealing with issues from that company also.  They are crooked **bleep** scammers but don't worry Paypal should help you get your money back.  It had me completely stressed out too and it took longer than it should have because I opened the case under the reason of item not as described because I thought their product was crap.   That caused me to lose the case the first time so don't do it that way!  I called Paypal and asked them to help me with the case and I believe they changed the reason to something along the lines of "subscription fraud".  I had to produce evidence that I had emailed the company and told them that I did not want their product and to return my money because they charged me a day early.  I made sure that I had uninstalled them from google chrome, I took a screenshot of the account being cancelled (before uninstalling) and I would also reference the link to this post so you can show Paypal that this unscrupulous company has played this dirty trick on other people.  Outwrite even tried to forge documents saying that I was still using their services so be careful of these people.  I also reported them to the FTC which you should do also because if they get enough complaints then they will take action against this company.  Just call Paypal, tell them what happened, ask them what they need from you to prove your case, make sure you submit it in time and reply to any responses on time.  If worse comes to worse you can always charge back through your bank as well because subscription fraud is illegal.  Good luck and keep fighting that company.  Do not let them steal your money!

Login to Me Too

JadeH95
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much for your reply! Do you know where I can find evidence of the date I signed up to the free trial?
Login to Me Too

misslucybear
Contributor
Contributor

You should have an email from Outwrite that states when you signed up.  Or since you used Paypal as a way to sign up for the free trial, it also shows in Paypal the date that you started your subscription.  Since Paypal keeps changing its interface I forget how you get there.  Make sure to ask them how to access it when you call or this link might also help.  https://smallbusiness.chron.com/check-paypal-subscription-active-28884.html  Even though you have told them you want to cancel your subscription etc... They may still be able to access your account.  Plus, remind Outwrite that we are not in the Australian time zone which was another BS excuse they tried with me.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.