Case closed unfairly. Seller sent wrong item & wants me to keep wrong item and accept 15% refund

Mattcais
Contributor
Contributor
I bought and paid for a DIY midi kit costing $19.99 plus 9.99 shipping. When the package arrived it contained a cheap Bluetooth speaker with an estimated value on the customs sticker of $5.00. When I contacted the seller (in China) they were very apologetic and offered me a 5% refund. I said I just wanted my money returned in full. Several more emails and the seller eventually offered a 15% refund claiming that it cost them a lot to ship the wrong item and somehow trying to put the loss on my shoulders. I explained that as it was them that made the mistake i should not be held responsible for the loss but that I would gladly return their speaker on receipt of my full refund. They made the excuse that it would cost me too much to return the speaker and so I should just accept the 15% refund. I filed a dispute with PayPal explaining all of this and they told me to wait while they investigated. Today I got a message saying that they have decided the dispute in the sellers favour as the seller has tracking proof that they delivered a package and closed the case. That they sent a package was never in dispute, it is the contents of the package I have a problem with. I was never asked for my photographic proof of the packaging and item received with all the customs labels and tracking numbers nor for the emails in which the seller admitted his shipping mistakes and offers of partial refund. They took the word of the seller who simply said “ I delivered the item here’s the tracking proof.” I can’t believe this seller is going to get away with this criminal act of thievery and PayPal have closed the case... How can I get some proper resolution here? This seller has now learned that they never have to send anything near the value paid and they will get away with it . Help
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Tallgcg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi we also had this issue. A totally different product was sent, we dont want it, wont use it etc. We required a full refund, the seller made increasing percentage refund offers up to a final 65%. This was not acceptable to us so we escalated the problem through paypal. Now the seller will refund the $24.32 but wants us to pay about $20.00 to ship the item back to China. How can this be right. NO BUYER protection.

Login to Me Too

Mattcais
Contributor
Contributor
It’s really shocking. I will be using my credit card to make any purchases from China from now on, or just go through eBay. The add I responded to was on Facebook but it represented itself as though it was an American company. Had no idea China would even be involved. At least eBay will actually resolve issues with a human mediator. . I thought PayPal was better than this? Guess not.
Login to Me Too

MickDoughty
Contributor
Contributor
Same issue, could have refund if I sent the product back at my cost registered post to China. Cost more than I spent, learnt my lesson this time.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.