Card charged twice but no payments shown in activity

murtaza888
New Community Member

I wanted to buy a PlayStation Network digital card, so I picked a reputable online website that sells them, and added the item to my cart, signed up for an account, and then proceeded to checkout, where I selected PayPal, so it opened a new window where it said 'securely logging you in', and then it showed the exchange rate for the amount I'd be charged, and said I would get to review the payment before finalizing it, so I went ahead with it, the window closed and it redirected me back to the homepage of the online site that I was buying from.

Nothing showed up in the order history, and my card was not charged yet at this point, checked the app to verify my balance and no texts from the bank either. I thought the website was buggy, so I tried again. Repeated the whole process above, and the same thing happened. The window closed and it just took me back to the homepage of that website.

Suddenly I get a text from the bank saying the card was charged for the amount of the product I was purchasing. 
I checked my bank app to see the balance, and it's gone down by twice the amount of the product I was purchasing. So instead of 60 USD lower, bank balance was showing 120 USD lower than what it was supposed to show. 

I only got a text for one purchase, but the balance has gone down by twice the amount, presumably because I repeated the process, so it charged the card twice.

I've emailed the website that sells the cards, and they replied that they couldn't track my transaction without an order number, which I did not get because on their website the order never went through and the item is still in my cart. They said they could reverse the payment if I provided them with a PayPal transaction ID, which I don't have.

The 'activity' tab under PayPal doesn't show the transactions, yet my card has been charged, and the site that I was buying stuff from claims that they can't track the payment.

So I'm short 120 USD, and nobody knows where the money went. I'm getting in touch with the bank now, and I've sent a message to PayPal on the message center, so hopefully they can figure this out.

Anyone experienced this before? Did you get your money back?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Randy

@murtaza888,

I recommend contacting our customer service teams for further assistance if you're still seeing this issue on your end.  You can click 'Contact Us' at the bottom of any of our pages to get a phone number to reach us at, or you can contact us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/askpaypal) or Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/PayPal). We would be happy to take a look at what options might be available to you.

- Randy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.