Cannot reach any agent and cannot link bank account

ZWAR
Contributor
Contributor

An account was made for my son and monies were deposited.  We have since learned that due to his age it is not a valid account.  We waited 6 months as instructed and now we want to withdraw the funds that belong to us.  We are not able to link a bank account.  I have sent multiple messages and receive no response.  I try calling but after 10 minutes of "security checks" I am told I cannot be put in touch with an agent.  This has been going on for 2 months now.  How do I escalate this?  It is now at the point that Paypal is withholding my funds for over 1/2 a year and does not even give me the courtesy of responding the messages.  Please advise.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ZWAR 

Paypal does not allow account holders under the age of 18.
PayPal asks for a birth date when you register so whilst you can make a PayPal account with false information the account will need to be verified to accept funds into your balance or lift any limits.

As you would be unable to verify your account it would be permanently locked for further use.
Minors can’t enter legal contracts so you may not have any recourse to get your money back until you were 18, unless customer services allow you to transfer the funds to a parents account, not guaranteed however.

You would never be able to use that illegally opened underage account again but once 18 Paypal may allow you to do a withdrawal of funds from that account.

OR they may allow you to open a new account and transfer the funds across for you. The latter option is not guaranteed as you have already broken their rules once but you should get one of those options.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ZWAR
Contributor
Contributor

While your explanation is helpful, it does not address the issue of not being able to discuss this with anyone at Paypal.  It was an honest mistake where I intended to be the one opening the account and holding it for my son like you would a bank account.  Paypal refusing to respond to multiple messages and not being reachable by phone is still unacceptable.  He will be turning 18, but even using your explanation - I have no way of getting the money despite his age cause no one will respond.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.