Cancelling payment after seller has marked as shipped?

Harrietlaing
Contributor
Contributor
The seller has told me after sending the money that he wants me to cancel the payment because he cannot afford to send the item. He claims that he was relying on the money for the item to pay for the shipping but the money was withheld, so he marked it as ‘shipped’ thinking this would release the funds but apparently not. Now I can’t cancel the payment and he claims he still does not have access to the money to refund me. I don’t know it’s he is lying and trying to scam me but he’s not being very helpful or communicative. I don’t know what to do??
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Harrietlaing 

You'll have to open a Item Not Received dispute after 7 days from date of payment so the seller can refund you within the dispute using the held money without having to escalate to PayPal. If dispute is escalated, PayPal will issue a refund since the seller wasn't able to ship your item out and provide a tracking number.

To dispute when the time comes: locate payment transaction in your PayPal account activity, click it, then click "Report a problem" to file an Item Not Received (INR) dispute.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Harrietlaing 

You'll have to open a Item Not Received dispute after 7 days from date of payment so the seller can refund you within the dispute using the held money without having to escalate to PayPal. If dispute is escalated, PayPal will issue a refund since the seller wasn't able to ship your item out and provide a tracking number.

To dispute when the time comes: locate payment transaction in your PayPal account activity, click it, then click "Report a problem" to file an Item Not Received (INR) dispute.

Login to Me Too

Harrietlaing
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you, the seller has gone completely quiet on me now so doesn’t look good 😞 I really hope the money will be refunded.
Login to Me Too

Teslafan101
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

is it an Ebay transaction?

if so,he could ask EBay to release a small sum for him to pay for shipping.

Login to Me Too

Harrietlaing
Contributor
Contributor
No, the laptop was listed on depop but he asked me to pay via PayPal to avoid depop fees.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Harrietlaing wrote:
No, the laptop was listed on depop but he asked me to pay via PayPal to avoid depop fees.

Oh dear. See, some sellers don't have running capital to cover shipping expenses unless they receive the entire payment first but since PayPal may subject the buyers' payment to funds availability hold to ensure the seller ships out from time to time or if they are a new seller needing to build there selling history with PayPal, the seller won't have the funds to ship the item out.

It's a contrary, I know: a function that's supposed to ensure fulfillment hinders it but sellers are supposed to have running capital for shipping expenses so these holds don't interrupt their order fullfillment. They're essentially running their "business" payment by payment and that's not how it's done and end badly as you can see. The seller should at least have a credit card and fund the shipping costs. Have to have skin in the game (money invested) if one wants to make money.

Since the seller won't be able to provide the tracking, or if they magically have tracking, it needs to be checked out and verified for validity on appeal, if you have to cross that bridge.

Login to Me Too

Harrietlaing
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, it’s incredibly frustrating and irresponsible. Why sell something you can’t even send?? I am suspicious of his intention but fingers crossed it will be resolved one way or another! Thanks for your advice, I guess I’ll just have to wait it out a bit longer..
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.