Can you sue someone that scammed you through friends and family?

DeWitt77
Contributor
Contributor

A friend of mine bought a pair of shoes recently for $200 from a Facebook market, and was asked to pay using friends and family. Yeah I know. Never use friends and family for business transactions. But my friend wasn't aware of this apparently, and the seller ghosted him. Paypal obviously sided with the "seller" who scammed my friend out of a couple hundred dollars. He tried calling his bank for a chargeback  and they have been unhelpful as well. The person is not a good scammer though, as her personal information was easy to find through a Google search including a home address, phone number, and current workplace. My friend has no intention of doing anything bad with that information, but we're wondering if it's possible to sue the scammer or get the police involved (it's out of state), or if using friends and family would prevent him from even doing that.  

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

brison4mist
Contributor
Contributor
Hey, I'd either file a police report,or contact the person directly.Most of them will get scared and will refund to avoid any legal troubles.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.