Can't return item for a refund

Cocoabuttergoat
Contributor
Contributor
I ordered something on eBay but it wasnt as good as it was stated and broke so I threw it away and filed a claim. The seller saod they would refund if I sent it back but thats physically impossible as I threw it away. Is there any way I can still get a refund through PayPal?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cocoabuttergoat 

If you open a paypal dispute and win then paypal will request that you send the item back to the seller (trackable to prove delivery) before you get a refund.

If you buy something from a shop and then throw it away, would you go back into the shop for a refund and expect to get one??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Cocoabuttergoat
Contributor
Contributor
Actually yes. People do that where I live all of the time. The sellers here dont want the broken a items back as it's just junk they'll have to toss out themeselves. All they ask for is a receipt as proof of purchase.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cocoabuttergoat 

ok well sadly thats not how paypal works.....

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#purchase-protection

IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal’s Purchase Protection program does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

BUT file a claim anyway and explain its broken and whether safe to ship or not in your dispute so paypal can be aware of that when you escalate to a claim and then see what they say.

Also if you paid via a credit card via paypal then you could try a chargeback if that doesn't work?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.