Can't confirm identity, can't withdraw money, no help whatsoever from PayPal

WalMast
Contributor
Contributor

I created my PayPal account 10 years ago under a nickname, and have been using it to collect donations towards running a community group. Now suddenly I have had restrictions placed on my account so I cannot receive any more money, and cannot withdraw money, despite having provided all the verifiable details of my legal name, address, phone and bank account. But because the nickname doesn't match my legal name, and I can't change the name of my account to my legal name, I am stuck. PayPal have essentially stolen my money and all requests for support end up in the same dead end. I am extremely unhappy with PayPal and vow to never use them again because of the lack of support.

Has anyone else been in this same dead end situation and managed to get their money out?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WalMast 

They haven't stolen it, the funds belong to the person named on that account and has a legal document to prove it is their name or has been legally changed to that name.

So the funds belong to someone who's legal name is your nickname.

Sorry but you shouldn't add a nickname to a legal financial account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

WalMast
Contributor
Contributor
So PayPal will willingly take money under a nickname (the name my community group has known me by for 10 years), but then won't pay it out. I call that theft.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WalMast 

Well if they let you have it, it would be theft as well wouldn't it as the funds don't belong to you they belong to the person named on the account.

They can't legally release funds to anyone apart from the legal account holder and that can't be you because its not your name.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

WalMast
Contributor
Contributor

Oh well, as PayPal won't give me my money, I've taken my business to GoFundMe, who do let you collect donations under a nickname and withdraw them to a legal entity. Bye bye, PayPal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WalMast 

Really?

https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/articles/203604574-Changing-Your-Name

Changing Your Name

GoFundMe fundraisers must be tied to a single individual, and they must have their full name appear on the fundraiser. The organizer of the GoFundMe fundraiser cannot be anonymous; we have this policy in place to promote transparency.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.