Can't Withdraw Money Despite Providing Verification

themelonninja
Contributor
Contributor

A while ago, a limit was placed onto my account, restricting my access to send or receive money. To lift the limit, I had to provide verification of my identity, which I did. However, my PayPal name is my nickname, rather than my legal name, so my verification was rejected and was told that PayPal will no longer offer me its services as I violated its rules, and that if I wanted to withdraw the money in my account balance, I would need to send more verification. 

I'm perfectly fine with my account getting deleted, I just want my money. I sent PayPal verification of my identity (my passport and my empadronamient) as requested, only to receive another email saying that it couldn't be confirmed due to my differing names. How do they expect me to withdraw my money when my names differ, if the entire reason of me needing to withdraw it is because my names differ? It makes no sense. We've been running in a circle for almost a month and it's incredibly frustrating. I have even requested to change my name several times, to no avail. I have sent them several emails on Customer Support, messaged them on Facebook, and even tried talking to an agent (which is pointless, because apparently none of them work during business hours).

I just want to withdraw my money. That's IT. I can't remove my account limit because Melon isn't my legal name, so my access was stripped and I had to send documents over to withdraw my money, only to then get slapped in the face again and again. What can I do to get my money?? Me having to send them more documents was entirely because I don't go by Melon in real life, so why are they saying that it won't work because of it? That's the entire point of why I've had to send them???

It's so frustrating. Just give me money, please. It's been almost a month.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@themelonninja 

The money in the account belongs to the person named on the account and who has a legal document to prove that that is their name.

As you have a fake name on your account and can't prove with a legal document that that name is your legal name then you don't own the funds do you.

Why would you open a legal financial account with a fake name??? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

themelonninja
Contributor
Contributor
The whole point of my PayPal account was for me to take art commission requests from users on sites like Twitter and Tumblr. I have always gone by Melon online, it is my nickname, my online moniker. People know me as Melon. None of my public social media has ever displayed my legal name because fandom artists are frequent victims of doxxing and harassment, and with my real name people are capable of leaking information I would rather stay hidden. Also really cool that I have to deadname myself, but hey, it's whatever. PayPal literally has an option to update your name if you had chosen to use a nickname. I've requested to have it changed to my legal name several times but nobody has gotten back to me.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@themelonninja 

Yes i think that nickname option hasn't been allowed for a few years now as per the moderators comment below.

Scroll down to Paypal Olivias post on the below thread. 

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Account/Is-it-possible-to-change-a-first-quot-fake-quot-name/...

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

themelonninja
Contributor
Contributor

Right, fair enough. So they won't let me change my name, and my documents obviously won't go through since Melon isn't my legal name. I have no problems with closing my account, but what happens to my account balance? Is the money just lost forever?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.