Can a seller charge a fee when returning an item? Not a restocking fee, but free Shipping fee!

Lilly44
Contributor
Contributor

My query relates to, how can a store deduct the initial shipping cost from my refund if it was FREE shipping?

I have purchased 3 items from a lighting store and as my order qualified for ‘free postage’/ no postage was charged. Im wanting to return some of these items for a change of mind refund - the store return policy accept this.

The store is insisting they will deduct the initial shipping cost from the return. (Note: This is not relating to the return shipping cost, that is at my cost). Eg because the store paid for shipping/free postage they will deduct $60 (randomly) from my refund. I believe this is to deter customers by charging them a fee so they wont apply for a refund.

The free shipping for orders over $99 qualified for even 1 of the items I purchased. I am returning 2 items worth $300 of my $700 total order. So I am not returning items that are under the $99 anyway. The free shipping is past tense - that order has been placed and shipping completed, so how can they charge me for it just because I am returning an item? It doesn't make sense. 

The store is also saying it will not process a refund if an item has been opened, however to determine if the item is faulty/broken it always requires inspection and needs to be opened.

Will PayPal help get my money back upon returning it?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.