Can PayPal give your bank details to a 3rd party!!

Dee128
Contributor
Contributor
I purchased a service from an app and paid in full. Next thing I noticed on my profile , 'credit' was 'bought' and paid for through my PayPal Account. However, I purchased no such credit. So my only conclusion is that the app has scammed me. I reported it to PayPal who refuse to see fault. This company was able to send proof if the IP address I apparently used to purchase this credit. If PayPal are supposed to be the 'safe' way to pay, how has a 3rd party whose services I only used once (they had not received my PayPal details) been able to get away with this.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dee128 

Check your automatic payments/billing agreement page:

Go to Account Settings (gear icon) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments

Select merchant on left, click Cancel on the right.

PayPal doesn't pass actual financial information to third party. When you buy something, some merchants (particularly online products and services) set up automatic billing in your PayPal profile to streamline checkout or do auto top up, or for a trial period, which you authorize when making a purchase and automatically bill your PayPal account and if you have a payment method linked and chosen as the preferred payment method, PayPal uses that. It's very important that we pay attention to what happens when you make payment to see if there is any terms or fine print that says a billing agreement is set up and always double check your billing agreements page as above to cancel any agreements set up that you do not want after the transaction is completed.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Dee128
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks but I checked my settings and I don't billing arrangements with this company. All I know is, I have been billed for a service I did consciously buy? I really have no idea what is s going on. Am never using PayPal again, very dodge.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.