CMOLO Co. is a Scam Site and PayPal Knows It

FlintStryker
Contributor
Contributor

Bottom line - CMOLO Co. is a Scam Site. Avoid them. Sadly, if you are reading this your have probably already been scammed, you've tried to get PayPal to help, and assistance has been denied. Welcome to the club.

My story...

I have a friend who I camp with quite a bit. We discuss gear regularly, and often share deals we've discovered. It's pretty common practice for us. A few days ago I got an email from him about a flash sale on Amok Hammocks. Only $54, including the hammock, bugnet and rain fly. Supplies were limited, as is typical for flash sales. These things usually go for $200-$400+, depending on accessories. As a DIY gear-maker myself, $54 seemed about right for materials alone. Maybe Amok was selling the hammocks to get them in circulation and increase sales - you know, the reason manufacturers have flash sales.

Well, the site looked legit. Descriptions and pictures were spot on. I placed an order. Then I went back to my friend's email, intending to reply back and thank him for the tip. That's when I noticed the signature line "Sent from my iPhone 10." He doesn't have an iPhone. In fact, he still owns and uses an old LG flip phone. That's when alarm bells went off. I checked the PayPal transaction details and saw that payment went to CMOLO. Looked them up and found this forum and now fully expect that I have been scammed. 

Yes, I contacted PayPal immediately. They rejected my initial claim. I'm still waiting on my goods to be delivered. I'll try again after I wait a couple of weeks to see if anything is actually delivered. I also checked with Amok. No flash sales on their end, but the were familiar with the CMOLO scam. Sigh.

Of course, I changed my PayPal password and security questions and other settings. And I finally signed up for 2FA authentication. My account is safe, but I'm out some cash. Too bad PayPal doesn't protect the buyer in these situations. 

Login to Me Too
122 REPLIES 122

MikeC12
New Community Member

Bought the Glnfely webcam from Cmolo co. Received the product after many weeks. Hooked it up and the microphone worked but the camera didn't. Contacted the company through Paypal and they Cmiolo responded this way. Sorry your product isn't working, we will offer you a 20% rebate on your product or you can send it back to us for approximately $20 in shipping costs (only payed about $31 total. CCOMPLETE SCAM COMPANY!

Login to Me Too

FlintStryker
Contributor
Contributor

July 7, 2020. I'm happy to report that my dispute with CMOLO has been resolved in my favor. PayPal issued me a full refund today.

As I commonly do, I checked my PayPal account after I placed my order with who I believed was Amok Hammocks. I discovered that I had instead got scammed by CMOLO. My good luck was that I immediately contacted the email address listed in the PayPal transaction and asked that the oreder be cancelled. They at first did not respond. I followed up by asking for a tracking number. I asked multiple times. Nothing. Remarkably, about a week later I got an email from CMOLO stating that the order had been cancelled. They would ship and I would receive nothing! Good. I then started asking for a refund and that charges be reversed. Silence from CMOLO...

I then opened a dispute with CMOLO in PayPal's resolution center. PayPal was pretty good about responding to me through their online messaging system. Trying to call PayPal was a mosterous waste of my time. Use the messaging center. Anyway, the messaging center allows you to upload documents. I saved my order cancellation email from CMOLO as a PDF and sent it to PayPal via the messaging center. PayPal now had clear evidence that I was due a refund. It took about 5 days for them to take action, but I got my refund this morning.

I have encouraged PayPal to stop working with CMOLO. I have told them of the multiple complaints on their own community forums. I shared emy xperiences with them. PayPal is now well informed. If there is ever a class action suit over all these scams PayPal will have a hard time denying that they were aware. CMOLO will go out of business if then can not process transactions. PayPal needs to stop enabling them. I do appreciate that PayPal resolved the matter in my favor, and pretty quickly at that, but they need to stop working with fraudulent companies when they are made aware of them. Online commerce is dependent on trust. I encourage everyone who has had trouble with CMOLO or other scammers to let PayPal know. The messaging center is pretty good.

Login to Me Too

Ottue
New Community Member
I ordered from them paid for 3 to 7 day shipping haven't got anything. Can't get ahold of PayPal. Help.
Login to Me Too

shazm69
Contributor
Contributor
I have been scammed too. I ordered a pool ionizer and received a cheap chlorine dispenser. Why does Facebook allow these scammers to advertise ? I have opened a dispute via PayPal and I won't give up until I get my refund .
Login to Me Too

19brad66pp
Contributor
Contributor
They ( Facebook and PayPal ) allow CMOLO Co to continue to trade because they are complicit in the fraud as well as they get a fee, hopefully there is a group lawsuit issued against PayPal and Facebook! I hear there is a lawsuit about to be launched in The United States of America !
Login to Me Too

MrBill28
Contributor
Contributor

Good I want to be part of it. They have stolen Billions with their FAKE ads!

Login to Me Too

izec86

@shazm69 I order the same thing and got scammed with the same item. I told paypal in the resolution center the company is doing this as fraud. I've returned the item and paypal is suppose to be covering the return shipping cost and the company should be giving me a full refund. 

I'll tell paypal again about this being a scam and hopefully they will take action. Or as others have said. lawsuit case will be incoming.

Login to Me Too

GelmoB
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing happened to me...I've been going back and forth with PayPal...they will do nothing. You are out of luck and so am I.
Login to Me Too

Mimi115
Contributor
Contributor
Good luck. I opened a dispute, provided all the required information that paypal asked for, even paid myself to return the cheap product they sent me and paypal denied my claim. Really disappointed in paypal and how they don't protect the customer
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.