Buyer won claim after two months? Anything I can do?

Isaiahfelixc
Contributor
Contributor

Hello community, after selling a fragile item on eBay and the item arriving in working order, the buyer has filed a claim that the shipment arrived broken almost two months later (Package arrived August 13th and he made a claim September 29th). I've sent evidence of proof to PayPal of: 1. The card still working 2. The buyer, in an eBay message, stating that he got about 4 days use of the card before it broke. 3. The buyer admitting he carried the fragile item in his backpack from the U.S to Thailand. Is there anything else I can do? I can't believe that PayPal would accept a claim almost two months later even with this amount of evidence. Thank you

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Isaiahfelixc

A buyer has up to 180 days to open a paypal dispute.

As paypal never see the item that was sent and received then they 'tend' to favour the buyer BUT the buyer normally has to send the item back to you first before you have to refund, but wait for paypals decision as you may get lucky.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Isaiahfelixc
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, but I've stated no warranty, I sent proof, from the buyer, that the card is working and he wants a refund because he broke it. Why is PayPal able to intervene when this is all done on eBay. I called eBay and they said he should not be able to get a refund, but since he went through PayPal, they are not able to do anything.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Isaiahfelixc

If your buyer wins a dispute then it matters not if you have said anything like 'no refund or no warranty' etc etc as paypal makes those decisions.

If he opened an Ebay dispute and lost then he could still have opened one on Paypal as Paypals dispute process is completely separate.

As you accepted Paypal and he paid using Paypal then he would have buyer protection.

All you can do is wait for Paypals decision.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Isaiahfelixc
Contributor
Contributor
This is really cool. I love PayPal.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Isaiahfelixc

As I said you 'may' win, its just one of the risks of online selling.

You are always going to get the odd bad sale.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Isaiahfelixc
Contributor
Contributor
How is it possible I win? The item comes back completely destroyed? If the card still works can I get my money back for a false claim? Why should I be stuck with something he broke and he gets all his money back.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Isaiahfelixc

Well you may 'win' the dispute and paypal refuse to let the buyer return for a refund.

As i said its one persons word against anothers so paypal make a judgement call.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Isaiahfelixc
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal already allowed a return. Does that mean I lost?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Isaiahfelixc

You didn't say that important bit of info.

Yes if paypal is telling him to return it for a refund then it sounds as if you lost  Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.