Buyer scamming me

Harriet2000xx
Contributor
Contributor

I lost an iPod on depop last week for £50 and sent via Royal Mail signed for 1st class so it arrived the next day the buyer left the iPod in the post office for a week then messaged me claiming it was damaged and sent a pic on a tiny mark on the side of the metal saying it was a dent however it can be seen to clearly not be a dent the buyer is asking for a £10 refund for this which I haven’t done as he is trying to scam me I have contacted depop who haven’t replied , I have pictures taken from every angle before shipping to prove it wasn’t damaged my end ....how can I stop myself being scammed ?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Harriet2000xx 

Tell buyer that you're sorry that they are not pleased with their purchase and ask buyer to return the iPod for a refund of what they originally paid, if you're not willing issue the £10 refund. Maybe they'll decide to let it go when they realize they have to return item.

Look at it from a business perspective, not emotional. Want the iPod back or not to re-list? Some people make up an excuse to return when they have buyer's remorse (whether they think they paid too much or whatever) and when you get it back, nothing wrong with item. Rather refund £50 on return or £10 for them to go away or possibly more if buyer file a credit card chargeback (Paypal charges a fee to sort a credit card chargeback dispute)? If buyer files a standard PayPal dispute, youl'll be forced to accept return and issue a refund. Its your decision.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Harriet2000xx 

Tell buyer that you're sorry that they are not pleased with their purchase and ask buyer to return the iPod for a refund of what they originally paid, if you're not willing issue the £10 refund. Maybe they'll decide to let it go when they realize they have to return item.

Look at it from a business perspective, not emotional. Want the iPod back or not to re-list? Some people make up an excuse to return when they have buyer's remorse (whether they think they paid too much or whatever) and when you get it back, nothing wrong with item. Rather refund £50 on return or £10 for them to go away or possibly more if buyer file a credit card chargeback (Paypal charges a fee to sort a credit card chargeback dispute)? If buyer files a standard PayPal dispute, youl'll be forced to accept return and issue a refund. Its your decision.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.