Buyer "Changed Her Mind" On EBAY FILES Claim In PAYPAL But Says Item "Not As Described"

RMA
Contributor
Contributor

I've sold and bought on eBay for 15+ years with 100%+ Feedback. I have also collected James Avery jewelry 45 years. I am very knowledgeable about it.

This buyer is fairly new to eBay and James Avery jewelry. She has a history of buying on the FB pages then claiming the item is fake and getting her money back that way, or by doing a charge back on the credit card.

I had listed a lot of my very vintage and rare charms. Most are from the 1970's and 1980's and MANY people have NEVER seen before. In my listing I explain how the JA mark has changed as technology has changed. For example pieces used to be hand stamped when everything was hand made, but as times have changed they began mass producing items and laser stamping them. I clearly state in my listings that if this makes you uncomfortable, please do not buy from me. I also provide 12 photos (the max eBay allows) and for this particular listing I included a photo of the smaller charm they made, measurements, weight.

She tells me she has the smaller one (highly doubtful as they are super rare) and that they are nothing alike. Well, no they wouldn't be. But when I asked her to take a picture of the 2 side by side, she wouldn't.

I noticed she's made A LOT OF EXPENSIVE PURCHASES within the span of a week, and proportionately she has listed many items.

EBAY clearly states when she said she changed her mind, it is buyer's remorse.

I tried to respond to her claim on my phone so I could provide photos, however the link would not open and I had to do it on my computer, and I don't have photos on it.

Anyone every deal with a claim their items is counterfeit ? If so, what was the outcome with PAYPAL?

#CLAIMS@LINKS TO MEMBERS #FALSE CLAIM@LINKS TO MEMBERS #BUYER ABUSE@LINKS tO mEMBERST #bUYER REMORSE@LINKS TO MEMBERS

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Chameleon10000
Contributor
Contributor

Just wondering what the outcome was?

I have a similar issue at the moment. Sold a high value item to a guy. As soon as he received it he went via eBay for a "refund/change of mind". I refused this as it clearly stated "no-returns". He claims that the item is counterfeit (and stated a number of reasons for this--all of which are nonsense, made-up and anyone who knows anything about this product/brand would know this)--by the way, the item is not counterfeit whatsoever and could easily be verified by the Brand (company). Now this person is disputing via Paypal. As part of his scare tactic he has also advised that he has reported me to the police (fraud squad)--I genuinely welcome a visit from them with open arms as I have nothing to hide. I strongly believe he has some scam going but just cant work out exactly what it is. This individual is also a convicted (3 year sentence) criminal who was caught undertaking internet fraud a few years ago.

Login to Me Too

RMA
Contributor
Contributor
It has been hell! I think paypal has forgotten it takes a great seller to get a buyer. First, with all this mess going on, almost nobody is manning the phones so you have to ask the community or try to message in a messenger type format awaiting a response. Because if this I couldn’t get my photos showing the company’s verification that my item is authentic. Since that was the case paypal decided in her favor!! She had absolutely no proof or basis & I had everything! I kept trying to contact paypal & upload my photos & was successful. I also uploaded pictures of her threats & retaliatory negative feedback. Then they reversed the decision in my favor, stating she had a specific time frame to return my item. She failed to do so and paypal closed the case. Finally! But no! Meanwhile she got on the phone or messenger with paypal . Then even though the case was closed & no longer disputable, I get a message from paypal stating she is returning the item & has provided tracking (after her original deadline) . It arrives. No insurance or signature confirmation (which is joe I initially sent it & my listing states I do not take returns & should the buyer find it necessary to return it then they must ship the way it was shipped initially). I refused the package & returned to sender. It is on its way back to me from her!!! She’s done this to many people on the Facebook selling pages and always keeps the item & sends back a cheap non authentic item!! I told paypal that & sent photos. She also threatened to do a chargeback with my bank. So I called my bank I’ve been with for almost 30 years and gave them all 3 of her known names asking them to note my account. They informed he I was protected due to my impeccable reputation with them,& she’d have to risk getting penalized for “friendly fraud” by going to her initial funding source. AND THEY DECIDED IN HER FAVOR?!?!?! But, due to the unusual nature & circumstances, paypal would refund her & it wouldn’t come out of my account. So all they’ve taught her is how to scam paypal. No wonder the fees keep going up! She threatened me, told me I had messed with the wrong person, left negative feedback which took me days to take care of, threatened a chargeback etc. Best of luck to you!!
Login to Me Too

Chameleon10000
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I may also have a long journey ahead with this. Ebay and Paypal appear to profit from fraudulent behaviour. Once this is all done and dusted I will be closing both accounts as I've leant an interesting lesson through this--in future anything else I sell will be via genuine, reputable auction houses. Best wishes.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.