Buyer protection

Pete59
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I've been trying to no avail to have PayPal evaluate numerous follow up emails providing them information & supporting attachments regarding an open dispute that has a case number already allocated.  All I get is a generic response / message inviting me to open a dispute through the resolution center even though a dispute has already been opened. I have called the Paypal help center who told me they are unable to access the file.

Dealing with Paypal is and has been an arduous undertaking to say the least. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all ! 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pete59 

You open a dispute and put in as much info as possible.

You escalate to a claim, but once escalated you can only upload information if paypal requests it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Pete59
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks chiming in.

The claim was a result of a damaged delivery from Fedex. The purchase is a limited edition watch with a value of approx. US $ 450

The seller (from Malaysia) asked me not to complain to Paypal as they wanted to resolve the issue through Fedex however Fedex refused their claim as the seller claimed the shipment consisted of a jar of jam with a value of US $ 46.00. In other words the seller provided false information.

I asked the seller why on earth they would do that to which the seller replied in writing - so that the customs value would be reduced. Therefore Fedex had no choice but to decline the claim as the seller acted fraudulently. That's when I contacted Paypal and asked for a partial reimbursement of US $ 222.00. Paypal decided I should return the watch to the seller but I was unable to do that as I am abroad and unable to travel due to Covid 19 restrictions.

The point of the matter more than the monetary value is that I as the buyer was unable to rely on Paypal to see the the sellers wrong doing as Fedex did. 

The information I provided Paypal was substantial in showing 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pete59 

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute then you can negotiate with the seller to try and resolve things but if you escalate the dispute to a claim and win then the ONLY option paypal give you is to return the item for a full refund, they do not get involved in part refunds or part returns as that is only available in the dispute part of the claim.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Pete59
Contributor
Contributor

No disrespect intended - do you work for or get a commission from Paypal?

FYI seller initially offered a part refund of 950 MYR which I accepted BUT seller then reneged / refused to fulfill their offer AND Paypal accepted this! Why? 

Is it any wonder why Paypal gets such BAD reviews 

Login to Me Too

Pete59
Contributor
Contributor

PS - the only reason I escalated to a claim was because the seller reneged on their initial offer which I had already accepted. I reported this to Psypal before I escalated to a claim but their system is so convoluted to make any sense.

Paypal does not seem to care about the unethical & fraudulent behavior that many buyers succumb to from unscrupulous sellers and Paypal in my case made it impossible for me to defend myself from this particular seller. Paypal did not take into account that this seller using their services has falsely represented the value of a shipment so as to defraud customs and then they (Paypal) do not take appropriate action to block this seller.

Login to Me Too

DCMoe13

I see you replying a lot to people by defending PayPal's policies, including their arduous and frequently useless dispute process and telling people to take it up with their credit card company.

PayPal's main selling point has always been buyer protection, and one might be forgiven for assuming that covers being scammed. The numerous articles in this thread about scammers being protected instead of buyers indicates otherwise, and your responses claiming PayPal has "done all they can" are starting to sound a bit credulous.

Clearly, PayPal buyers think PayPal will assume some liability; if this isn't the case, people should know about it. I am a writer and I am writing an article about PayPal's buyer protection. As you clearly work for the company, I would like to interview you so I can get a better idea of the ins and outs of this process. Your anonymity will be protected. If interested, please contact me through my website at christinemcondo.com/contact.php. Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.