Buyer protection policy ineffective against scammers

johntrendypooc
Contributor
Contributor

Recently I have been scammed twice by facebook adverts and chinese scam companies. Me being naive paid with paypal thinking I was protected. Not so. The scammers know that paypal will insist on the return of goods at the buyers expense before a refund is issued. The cost of the return is more than the value of the original order so the buyer has to "suck it up" One such scam company is  "Han <removed>" PHONE: <Removed>.  <Removed> Paypal are aware of their activities as they have had numerous requests for refunds but have not complied due to the return goods policy. A quick search on google brings up pages of complaints against this company so any bonafide company who offers a FAIR refund policy would keep abreast of the facts and post warnings or refuse to allow paypal payment to them.

Shame on Paypal for not protecting their clients

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

spottedh
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly you are wasting your time if you think Paypal will do anything about it, I believe they are as bad as the scammers.  Buyers protection should be changed to sellers protection since that's exactly what it does

Login to Me Too

johntrendypooc
Contributor
Contributor
It’s very obvious that PayPal are aware of the scam as they have removed the details of the scammer on my post. Protecting the scammer. If this is the case then it’s possible to make PayPal responsible and sue them. They may be big but we recently sued Hiscox insurance and won over corona virus insurance. Just took numbers of aggrieved clients.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@johntrendypooc 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

johntrendypooc
Contributor
Contributor
Yes. Clearly I am a bit thick in that department. One would expect Facebook to vet adverts like they do posts. And China. Well they give free viruses away
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@johntrendypooc 

Sadly i don't think Facebook vet ads or posts to be honest.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

johntrendypooc
Contributor
Contributor
Well face book are great at deleting posts for what they consider “abuse of terms and conditions” happens all the time. Also on my business page they block some boosted posts for clearly wrong reasons. Obviously make more money out of scam adverts😡
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.