Buyer opened a claim, but will not explain what the damage is

uHoHinLA
New Community Member

So, 

I sold an item on eBay, for some reason the buyer opened a dispute on Paypal, not eBay. The Dispute is item not as described, and the buyer's only comment was "item damaged"-

So, I responded through paypal, asking buyer - "What is the damage?"  No answer at all. after about 4 or 5 days, the buyer escalated it to a claim. Still, no explanation of the damage, and me, being unfamiliar with Paypal claims, I called paypal to get some insight -- because the oddity is that the buyer has been silent on what the damage is. In fact, what is crossing my mind is that the item may be perfectly fine, and if pressed by paypal to explain the damge, he might have incentive to actually damage it and send pics. sheesh. 

So, the paypal rep suggested that I respond and disagree  with the dispute, and ask what the extent of the damage is. And he said that Paypal will step in and ask this buyer to describe the damage, etc, and that Paypal will not be refunding the buyer unless or until he ships it back or if I agree to a refund. I was reluctant to even click 'disagree with claim' for fear paypal bots might close the case in his favor with me getting my $1100 item back.

Any insight out there? 

Thanks

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

you can get Paypal to review ,it will ask him to return the item with tracking,once tracking shows delivered,he will get his money back.

if he returns a rock,he will still have his money back.

there is no seller protection for item not as described as Paypal has never seen the item.

try calling him and ask,I am afraid it is a scam

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

the diff between opening a dispute on ebay vs Paypal is that ebay is 30 days whole cc and PAYPAL is 180 days.

if he wins,you pay return shipping,on Ebay,while with Paypal,he pays return shipping.

with cc,he may not have to return the item and yu wil be socked with $20 if you lose.

if he does return a rock,report him t o Ebay.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.