Buyer gave incorrect shipment number, and paypal (incorrecty) closed my case.

Nster101
Contributor
Contributor

I'm hoping someone can help me, as paypal has left me no way out of here.

I placed an order for several items from a seller, and they were sent out in separate shipments.  some of the items arrived, but others got lost with Aramex. Aramex (shipment company) confirmed that the shipment was missing. The seller did not want to refund me until buyer protection had expired, so i filed a paypal dispute.

Afterwards, they agreed to refund me within 48 hours on the dispute. However, 10 days later, they tell me I must close the dispute before they refund me. So I escalate it to Paypal.

They then upload the tracking details of one of the small items that DID arrive, 32149388364, but was worth about 3 dollars. They did not upload the correct details of the item that did not arrive, 32149265481. I have evidence from Aramex confirming that this shipment is lost. Paypal automatically ruled in their favor because they uploaded the incorrect tracking details which show a different item as being delivered. (not the correct, valuable one).

So here I am, $240.16 dollars worse off, with paypal having automatically closed my case without verifying the facts, and no way for me to appeal this ludicrous decision.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nevadasmith

@nevadasmith wrote:

@kernowlass wrote:

@Nster101

You can 'change' a dispute from non receipt TO not as described BUT you would need to do so before paypal closed the claim.

Try an appeal??

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/can-i-appeal-paypal%E2%80%99s-decision-on-my-case-faq205...

I think he can open a case of item not as described after case of item not received,it is not uncommon that a buyer finally received the item and then find out it is missing some items or items broken.

see if you can open case of INAD now

No, it has to be done during the dispute phase and then its escalated to a claim once changed.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/can-i-change-my-reason-for-filing-a-dispute-or-claim-faq...

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nster101

If you PAID in x1 transaction then you should never file non receipt of item IF the items were sent separately.

You should have filed for 'item received but not as described' ie you ordered x3 and only got x1.

Then paypal would probably have found in your favour BUT you may have had to return the item you did receive first before you got a refund as paypal does not deal in part refunds.

All i can advise is that if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Nster101
Contributor
Contributor

That is truly shocking, how would I have known that? The small items that did arrive were worth 2-3 dollars. And I cant do a card chargeback as I used a virtual card which my bank takes no liability for...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nster101

Well if you took the time to read the small section on buyer protection to see what coverage you have beforehand then to be honest you would have known.

An item is "Significantly Not as Described" (SNAD) if it is materially different from what the Seller described on its website or in the item listing. Here are some examples:

• You received a completely different item. For example, you purchased a book and received a DVD or an empty box.
  • The condition of the item was misrepresented. For example, the description when you bought the item said “new” and the item was used.
  • The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic.
  • The item is missing major parts or features which were not disclosed in its description when you bought the item.
  • You purchased three items from a Seller but only received two.
  • The item was materially damaged during shipment.

And personally I would always use a credit card with paypal as it gives you a second layer of protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Nster101
Contributor
Contributor

I had completely overlooked the small items, as they were so immaterial compared to the main one. Thats why i immediately jumped to the "my item did not arrive" button. Incorrect on my part, but I should be given the opportunity to correct that. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nster101

You can 'change' a dispute from non receipt TO not as described BUT you would need to do so before paypal closed the claim.

Try an appeal??

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/can-i-appeal-paypal%E2%80%99s-decision-on-my-case-faq205...

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Nster101
Contributor
Contributor

There doesnt seem to be an appeal button anywhere in the resolution center. Even the help section had that link removed. Thanks for all your help, but i hope there is actually a way I can get my money back, or at least the item...

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

@kernowlass wrote:

@Nster101

Try an appeal??

I think he can open a case of item not as described after case of item not received,it is not uncommon that a buyer finally received the item and then find out it is missing some items or items broken.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nevadasmith

@nevadasmith wrote:

@kernowlass wrote:

@Nster101

Try an appeal??

No, it has to be done during the dispute phase and then its escalated to a claim once changed.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/can-i-change-my-reason-for-filing-a-dispute-or-claim-faq...

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

but what if he received the item after the case is closed?

may be he should try appealing

too bad he did not use a real credit card

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.