Buyer filed bogus claim

Jbarton95
New Community Member

Hey guys, I've found myself in a nightmare situation. I've sold cars over PayPal without issue for several years. This time turned out poorly. The gentleman offers me a $1000 deposit. I accept explaining I can not hold the car more than a few days without full payment. We meet up 2 days later to finish the transaction. Buyer was supposed to pay another 2000. I had forgot some parts that were not attached to the car and upon noticing this, the buyer and I agreed on 1900 because of the missing parts. But he wanted me to meet up with him at a later date. Fast forward and he begins demanding I drive a 12 hour round trip without compensation for gas or insists I ship him these items he hasn't paid for on my own dime. The most he has offered me is $20 in gas on a 12 hour round trip which is unacceptable especially because he never paid for these parts. Now he has filed a dispute with PayPal and after attempting to work it out, it has been escalated as a claim now. I provided as much proof as possible that the purchase made on PayPal was a deposit for a car (deposits and cars are both not covered under buyer or seller protection) and further more because the deposit is for a car, he is disputing items that would have been exchanged in person but that he once again gave me $100 less for. To me it's clear the actual dispute comes from an agreement made in person, I very clearly held the car and delivered it 2 months ago. PayPal states they do not offer buyer protection for items purchased in person or items not paid in full. In my mind this case fits all 3 categories, but I'm reading scams about sellers being forced to refund a deposit because it was for a car and I'm quite nervous now. This is my only form of income and my account is negative $1000. How likely is it PayPal will rule in my favor?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jbarton95

Give customer services a call, if you state buyer is not covered as item collected and it was a car they should close the dispute.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent OR press '0' OR just say the word 'Agent' repeatedly.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jbarton95
New Community Member
Unfortunately it has been escalated past a dispute to a claim. I called and made it very clear the payment was for a deposit for a car and the buyer was trying to force me to send him additional parts he hasn't paid for yet and wanted free shipping. I also made it clear he collected the vehicle 2 months ago. I'm a bit nervous because they simply said that they would add my information to the claim. I guess at this point I just need some peace of mind. Do you think this guy has a chance of winning? If so, could I provide video evidence that the car was delivered 2 months ago (this would likely be very difficult but was in a parking lot so wouldn't be impossible) to appeal the case if he does for some reason win?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.