Buyer double charged with bank- now I'm in the negative from double charge refund

ashley113
Contributor
Contributor

Happened on 7/4/19. My friend sent me a payment of $280. Her bank showed two transactions of the amount ($288.42 with fees). I only received it once. She called PayPal and they informed her that she should give it a few days as it may be pending and will go away. It never did. Called them again and she was informed she had to contact her bank. She called the bank and they disputed with PayPal the double charge. Now PayPal took the money back from me and she is still facing a charge of 280 plus the fees and I'm being harassed by collections at PayPal because I'm in the negative. What happened to her other charge??? It's out in PayPal Limbo and no one seems to understand wtf is going on. And in order for me to go back to zero, PER PAYPAL, she either has to send me the money again (WTF?!) or I have to put my own money towards it (So now I'll be out $300, with $20 charge back fee). We have both called to have it resolved and she's reached out to her bank several times also. Bank says PayPal needs to fix it, PayPal says Bank needs to fix it. We have been dealing with this for over a month now and no results! PayPal collections have no problem calling me and even after I explain the situation they won't assist in the matter. USELESS customer service. We have the statement proofs from the Bank and they still won't do anything. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ashley113 

What a mess. I'd first keep calling back until you get a higher level rep that can help. They're there sprinkled in between the low level ones. If that don't work, its time to kick it up a notch: I suggest opening a case with bbb.org under PayPal San Jose CA to get PayPal Office of Executive Escalations to review your account. Try to discuss the problem regarding your account only, not anything on behalf your friend's (refer to them as sender, ie "I was sent this money but the sender got deducted twice and now I'm on the hook for an amount I'm supposed to receive", etc) as they can't discuss others' account with you.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.