Buyer disputing payment

Bilkes
Contributor
Contributor

Hey everyone. I’ve been selling on eBay for a few years and this is the first time this has happened to me, so I’m a little new to this process. On April 16, I sold a set of items to a buyer who I had messaged back and forth several times. They seemed very friendly as most of my buyers always have. They inquired about the items, purchased the items, I shipped the items, the items were delivered, the buyer thanked me in a message and positive feedback was left. All sounds pretty normal right? Well this morning on May 30, a month and a half later, I received an email from PayPal stating that the buyer has filed a payment dispute, claiming that the purchase was unauthorized. Naturally, I was very confused to see this. What do I need to do to resolve this? I did my part to the best of my ability as I do with all of my transactions, so I’m unsure how they are able to file a dispute so freely. Another concern is that the same buyer also made another large purchase from me a couple weeks later, but no dispute has been filed for that. Thanks for your time and any information to help me out with this is much appreciated.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bilkes

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

If they check and its untrue then your funds are released.
However you would not lose out as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, so your best bet is to go and read up on it to make sure you were covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bilkes
Contributor
Contributor
I contacted PayPal and was given a checklist of information to forward to them proving my part as a seller was done correctly. I sent them proof of everything I have, the item page, the sale page, the paid PayPal invoice, the tracking information that shows proof of delivery. I even sent them a shot of a message I received from the buyer acknowledging that they received the items and were pleased with them. Is there any more I can do or do I just let it play out? Am I at any risk of losing my items or money from this transaction?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bilkes

Am I at any risk of losing my items or money from this transaction?

Yes, unless you met ALL the criteria of seller protection which I have already advised you to go and read up on to check you were covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Bilkes
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, thank you. I have already researched the seller protection requirements and I have indeed met them all exactly. Again, this is the first time I’ve ever experienced something like this so I’m a little paranoid. I can’t afford to take a hit like this so I just want to make sure I’m covered.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bilkes

Fair enough but no one here can guarantee anything for you, all we can do is direct you to where you can check it out for yourself.

Good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.