Buyer did not collect purchase.

youngtroy1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.. I sold a used item for $900aud and sent from Australia to France with tracking and signature required. I just recieved notice that the item is back at my local post office. It was not collected and that I have to pay $99 to get it back, for the return shipping. I did not collect the item. It is still there at the Post office. The buyer is ignoring contact. I believe that he has buyers remorse or did not want to pay the customs duty. Ebay said that I should collect the parcel and that PayPal will most likely just reimburse the buyer. I will be out of pocket $200 for delivery and time and effort. Can anyone help or give some advice.? Thankyou.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@youngtroy1 

I'd issue refund minus shipping costs to you, including the $99 to collect from PO, fixed portion of PayPal fee. They can dispute you for it if they want.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@youngtroy1 

I'd issue refund minus shipping costs to you, including the $99 to collect from PO, fixed portion of PayPal fee. They can dispute you for it if they want.

Login to Me Too

youngtroy1
Contributor
Contributor
That did not cross my mind. Thankyou for the rsponse and idea.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@youngtroy1 

You're welcome. Ya know one have try and be fair, split things down the middle. 🙂 Cheers!

Login to Me Too

youngtroy1
Contributor
Contributor
Well, after speaking to Ebay and PayPal again, I understood this. If I collect the parcel, PayPal will refund all of the buyers money including postage. Leaving me out of pocket. However, if I leave it there and provide proof, which they have already confirmed, that I sent to the correct address and that the buyer did not pay duties. PayPal will side with me and not return any money to the buyer. Ebay have also agreed with me. PayPal says it is the buyers responsibility to have the parcel sent back to France and to liase with Autralia Post. This is harsh. I do not want the buyer to be out $999. But he has done the wrong thing. And I will be out $200. So if I collect and do the right thing I will lose. This has been thouroughly discussed with PayPal. It is a risk to collect and try to partial refund. If the buyer disputes, PayPal have confirmed they will refund all the money to the buyer including post. Rock and a hard place. And the buyer is still not responding. He may think that he will simply be refunded. Thanks for the replies.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.