Buyer claims Item not working, but uses own shipping company outside paypal

The_Doc
Contributor
Contributor

I have a buyer making a claim that the Hammond B3 organ tat I sold as "local pickup only" on ebay is broken. I had a no return on the Ebay auction and local pickup, no shipping on the account. He waited past 30 days and filed a claim with ebay. That claim was closed in my favor, so I now have to deal with the same claim as the ebay claim through paypal. I don't know what happened in the two weeks it took to ship the item across country, and I feel I should not be liable as I had no control over the shipping, nor did paypal. Please help

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@The_Doc

If you sold it as local pick up then you should have just refunded the buyer and told him to collect the item and bring 'cash'.

You should not have agreed to ship.

However once you did agree to ship the item then you 'may' lose the dispute BUT the buyer will have to return the item back to you trackable to prove delivery before you have to refund. However put ALL the details of how the buyer used their own shipping etc into the dispute BEFORE the buyer gets the chance to escalate to a claim and keep your fingers crossed paypal will find in your favour.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

The_Doc
Contributor
Contributor

The buyer made the claim before me. As soon as I won the Ebay claim, he went to PayPal and filed a claim. This has been a nightmare. It will cost him $1,500 at least to send it back to me and I'm sure the item will be even more damaged than he's claiming. He waited 30 plus days to file a claim, so I don't know what he did or what the shipping company did to this item. It's been a nightmare. I can't see how I'm responsible if the shipping was handled outside Paypal and Ebay.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.