Buyer claim help and advice

SamW2
Contributor
Contributor

So i apologize for this as it will be a long explanation but i just wanted to address everything i can and get the best advice on how to proceed.

So on the 2nd of May a buyer i had sold something to via Facebook had opened up a claim saying the item was faulty. This item is a CPU. They had said: "The CPU doesn't work as they had put it in another system and because of that it doesn't work". Yes that is what they said. Very vague but moving on.

So when they had opened up the claim on this i had contacted them via gmail to understand why this was happening as they had removed their Facebook account or had blocked me on Facebook so i had no method of contacting them prior to this. I understand from a legal view that this was "smart", but it did seem like they were trying to scam me and i wanted to be sure as this hasn't been the first time i have been scammed through Facebook. 

The claim proceeded as normal and as i had contacted him though gmail i had learned that the CPU did in fact work, but was overheating. I advised them that the CPU wouldst be overheating if it wasn't for the fact they were cooling it incorrectly. I did not supply them with anything to cool the CPU and they clearly stated they had been cooling a different CPU to 18 degrees which i'm certain you cannot do by normal means, just cool to room temperature. Regardless of this fact, i knew there wasn't anything i had done wrong to make the CPU overheat and it was down to the buyer to cool the CPU properly. 

I had submitted my evidence to PayPal explaining this, and unfortunately i wish i had submitted more written evidence as you cannot upload more than 10mb of files. 

The claim swung in the buyers favor but since i had learned that they wanted to keep one of the two items that was part of this claim and therefore the money being held in the claim, they then canceled the claim and the funds were released back to me. 

Forward 10 days after this, they had then decided to take it up with the bank, i presume citing the same thing as before. This has **bleep** me over and even though i am angry about this, I'm also trying to understand why the claim was re-opened when PayPal states a closed claim cannot be re-opened. 

Furthermore, because they had taken it up with their bank and issued a charge-back claim to PayPal, the only option i have to submit anything else is to the email address they provide to do with charge backs. 

Things i would like to have explained:

-Why did PayPal reopen the claim

-Can i submit more evidence to the claim using that email address or is that only to do with evidence on the refund that will eventually occur

-Will i receive my items back or will the money be refunded and i will have to rely on the seller to send the items back (most likely only sending 1 of the items back, loosing half of my money in the value of the items)

-Are these claims always in the buyers favor?

-If i agree to a partial refund, would i be able to get the item or items returned to me or would that not cover me and i would loose the item

I am just exhausted and stressed with this as it hasn't happened before and i feel **bleep** over. 

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SamW2 

A chargeback is done directly via the buyers bank or credit card issuer, so it is not a paypal dispute and is why the buyer can if they don't get resolution via a paypal dispute go to their bank or card issuer instead.

The bank or card issuer makes all the decisions for their client but paypal will pass on any information on your behalf.

If the buyer wins a 'chargeback' as opposed to a 'paypal dispute for not as described' then its very rare that a card company will request their client to return any items.

A card company does not get involved with part refunds, if they find in favour of their client then they will process a full refund which you will have to pay + you will be charged the card issuers fee on top....can't say what as you haven't said what country you are in.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SamW2 

A chargeback is done directly via the buyers bank or credit card issuer, so it is not a paypal dispute and is why the buyer can if they don't get resolution via a paypal dispute go to their bank or card issuer instead.

The bank or card issuer makes all the decisions for their client but paypal will pass on any information on your behalf.

If the buyer wins a 'chargeback' as opposed to a 'paypal dispute for not as described' then its very rare that a card company will request their client to return any items.

A card company does not get involved with part refunds, if they find in favour of their client then they will process a full refund which you will have to pay + you will be charged the card issuers fee on top....can't say what as you haven't said what country you are in.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SamW2
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Thanks for the help. That really sucks but i guess that's my fault for using paypal XD

It really does annoy me how people make claims on things that they just don't know enough about and then don't provide any evidence to back up their claims.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.