Buyer chargedback and disputed our transaction as being unauthorized

theaz943
Contributor
Contributor

So I sold a virtual good to someone and everything went fine he got his account and I received my money. That was until later that day when the funds disappeared from my account and I noticed he disputed it as unauthorized and blocked me on everything we had communicated through. Well I ended up winning the dispute because it was obviously not unauthorized but now its being charged back through his bank I think and given that I have already won the first dispute why do I have to fight another dispute ? My paypal is now negative $350 and I don't know what to do. I've got in contact with the buyer and he has openly admitted to lying and trying to scam me but for somereason he can't drop the case. I've provided undeniable proof of chat logs of our transaction and that he openly said he lied about it being unauthorized but i'm still negative $350. I think he would even corroborate that he lied because I think he realized he was doing bad but is there anything else I can do to get this resolved so I don't have to front $350? 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@theaz943 

A chargeback is not a paypal dispute, it is done directly via the buyer and their card issuer as they must have funded their paypal payment via a card.

So the card company makes all the decisions and all paypal can do is pass on any information on your behalf.

HOWEVER normally if you lose you would be covered by seller protection BUT seller protection does not cover virtual or digital goods, you can sell them but sadly at your own risk.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

theaz943
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass  so does this mean I will only win the dispute if their bank deems that I won and that paypal doesn't have a say in it ?

Login to Me Too

speedgear2015
Contributor
Contributor

Please help me I receive an email that my client filed a chargeback for two payments. I tried to confirm with my client but she told me that she did an authorize transactions. But still nothing happen I filed a case for this in Paypal. but nothing happen., And now I have negative funds on my account and its $500. Anyone can help. I am getting upset and frustrated on this,. I don't what to do

Login to Me Too

WarrenPink
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hey @speedgear2015

When a customer files a chargeback with their credit card issuer, it means that they’re disputing a charge and asking the card issuer for a refund.

A chargeback isn’t the same as a PayPal claim. The chargeback process is initiated outside of PayPal, between the card issuer and their cardholder. In a dispute over a chargeback, the decision is ultimately made by the card issuer and we don't decide the outcome.  PayPal cannot cancel a chargeback since this is a dispute initiated by a bank, only the Buyer's Financial Institution can stop it. What PayPal can do for you is we can help you refute the chargeback.

To resolve a chargeback complaint, please follow the instructions listed below:

1. Go to the Resolution Center.

2. Click Respond under “Action” next to your case.

3. Read the status details of the complaint and click Resolve Chargeback Now.

4. Choose one of the below options listed to resolve the chargeback:

Provide valid tracking information in order to dispute the chargeback received.

Provide valid proof of a refund (either within or outside of PayPal) in order to dispute the chargeback.

Accept liability for the chargeback.

5. Provide evidence for dispute (other than tracking information).

6. Click Continue and follow the instructions provided.

I hope this helps! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.