Buyer charged back a vacation rental

ozzy8
New Community Member

Buyer did a Friends and Family transaction, I believe.  PayPal states it does not offer buyer or seller protection in that case.

The transaction involves real estate:  a vacation rental.  PayPal states it does not offer buyer or seller protection for real estate.

The buyer (vacation tenant) signed a lease, agreeing that 1) all payments were non-refundable, and that 2) no refunds would be sought or given.

The buyer wrote in the memo box "non-refundable for any reason".

Despite all of this, the buyer did a chargeback.  PayPal is currently "reviewing" same;  it has been many weeks, and my account is in a negative balance, and I cannot use my account.  PayPal calls me once in a while asking me to look after the negative balance.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ozzy8 

Buyer or seller protection is for item not received / item not as described.

However a dispute for unauthorised or a chargeback is not a paypal dispute so their protection policies are not applicable.

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and you risk your Paypal account being limited if you do so.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for non-receipt of item OR item not as described as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.

However they can still open a dispute for an unauthorised transaction OR do a chargeback (via their card issuer) and you may well lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.