Buyer Refund

CT47
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I recently sent a heavy package to France where both the buyer and I had reached an agreement on price. The problem is now he wants me to pay for half of the customs, a fee which I was unaware of since it is my first time sending things abroad. I have already lost money as I did not know paypal takes commission from goods and services payments. My buyer says he will open a dispute via paypal if I do not pay half. (75 euros) What should I do? We had not discussed this fee before I sent the package. Is there anyway I can get out of this? I have already lost money. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CT47 

Buyers are responsible in any customs fees they incur importing an item into their country.

You don't go on holiday and when you find at customs that you have to pay duty on it, go back to the shop to ask for that customs fee do you.

Please tell me the funds are actually showing in your paypal account balance (and not just an email to say they are pending).

If he opens a dispute for non receipt of item then as long as you have trackable proof of delivery then you should win.

If he opens a dispute for item received but not as described then the onus would be on him to send the item back at his own expense before you have to refund.

If he does a chargeback which he can do if he funded that paypal payment via a credit card then hopefully you should be covered by seller protection (read up on it to make sure).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

CT47
Contributor
Contributor
If the buyer gives a verbal confirmation that all the goods are in order, will that be enough to protect me from a dispute of goods being broken? Or should I ask for a photo as well?
Login to Me Too

PayPalMichelleW

Hi @CT47,

I know that disputes can be very concerning.  When we receive a dispute from a buyer we will review all information from a seller and a buyer and make the best decision possible.  If you have additional question, I would suggest you contact us to provide additional details.  To contact customer service, please click Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website for available options, or reach out by Facebook or Twitter.  I hope this helps.  

Thanks! 

MichelleW

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.