Buyer Protection is useless....

netman63129
Contributor
Contributor

Based on a FaceBook video that demonstrated a high quality, all metal construction, light-saber replica, I purchased two for my child for $129.95.  I received two cheap plastic toys that could be purchased at the likes of Walmart for $5.  The seller did not respond to email for a return so I opened a dispute with Paypal.  I offered to send a photo of what I received versus what was advertised but Paypal never asked for one.  Instead I received this response...

"I understand your complaint regarding the item received.  With respect to our complaint process, we do reserve the right to force a return of the item in the event that we are able to determine the seller at fault.  The seller has disagreed with the claim, and upon review of the transaction history, we were unable to determine the seller at fault.  Thus, we are unable to force them to accept a return."

To which I responded...

"Of course the seller disagrees with the claim because the seller is a con artist who is defrauding hundreds of people.  I don't understand what you mean by "forcing a return"?  I would be happy to return the item.  Also, how can you make a decision without even seeing a photo of what was sent to me?  I feel like you are just closing this case without any due diligence. May I ask if you get a bonus based on the number of complaints that you process or money that you save Paypal by not providing a refund? Please escalate this to management.  Again, I do not believe that due diligence is being performed by Paypal regarding your refund policy.  This should be further investigated and at a minimum, you should have requested a photo of the item in question.  How can you decide the case without it?  This make no sense to me."

And finally Paypal responds...

"I realise that this isn't the outcome you'd have wished for, but I hope you understand why we made this decision. While I cannot change this, I will make sure your objection is duly recorded."

No, I don't understand this decision at all.  Can someone explain?

Thanks,

Mike

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

what kindof dispute did you file?

if you used a credit card,file chargeback

Login to Me Too

netman63129
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I did not use a credit card.  I used Paypal, disputed the charge, and asked for a refund in accordance with their Buyer Protection Plan, which in my case was useless.

-Mike

Login to Me Too

ALO604
Contributor
Contributor

I agree the buyer protection is useless. I have a clear case of a sellers item being misrepresented. Provided pictures and documentation. It seems Paypal is very superficial when looking at claims. I escalated and got nowhere. What a farce.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.