Buyer Protection doesn't work!

fkmonteiro
Contributor
Contributor

I'm here to share a very negative experience I'm sharing with eBay / PayPal and their Buyer Protection policy.

I've bought an item from eBay and paid with PayPal (983EUR). A few minutes later I've received an email from eBay saying it was a fake listing, not created by the account owner, and I should ask for a refund through PayPal - which I tried to do immediately.

When I logged into PayPal I saw a refund already being processed, so I thought everything was fine. A few days later though, I've received an email from PayPal saying my refund wasn't processed since it was cancelled by the seller (which is quite obvious since it's a scam in the first place).

Then I opened a Case - #PP-007-030-072-435 to finally request my refund, which had the due Date of June 29th. I haven't received any response from PayPal even after the due date, so I tried a new way of contact, this time through opening a case of unauthorized activity. Today I received an email saying that:

- I've made a mistake by opening this type of case since I should have e-mailed PayPal instead when I realized the due date for a reply expired

- Nothing else can be done and no forth case can be open due to "my mistake"

This is completely outrageous and disrespectful. I don't even know what to think about it to be honest.

Why - if eBay knew from the start that it was a scam - do I need to ask for a refund or do anything about it in the first place? Why eBay and PayPal don't figure it out automatically by themselves? Why PayPal can't keep up with the due dates provided by then and show respect for their customers? And lastly, why should I know it was a mistake to open the wrong type of case, and now have to suffer the consequences of it?

I really hope this can be solved without requiring a lawsuit, which honestly is the only thing I can think of now.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fkmonteiro

You open a dispute for non receipt of item.

You escalate to a claim 7 days after paying and BEFORE the date given when the dispute automatically closes if you have not escalated.

You then wait 10 days and should get your refund.

What you probably did not do was escalate to a claim so it 'timed out' maybe?

Then you opened an unauthorised dispute which is telling Paypal your account had been hacked, when it hadn't...so that would be closed of course.

So to be honest if you had followed the dispute process properly you would have had your refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

fkmonteiro
Contributor
Contributor

That's a lot of assumptions, isn't it?

The case was escalated into a dispute, and the due date for the dispute was expired as well. PayPal failed, and they continue to fail. I don't care (and can't care) about opening it right or wrong. For me it's simple - you buy a product, you either receive the product or your money back. I don't have to be an expert on PayPal's engines to get my money back. What's fair is fair, period. So you're saying it's ok to be scammed if you for some reason don't follow the right step-by-step process to get your refund (Which isn't my case since I did all by the book)?

Honestly this type of answer doesn't help at all... please keep those to yourself.

@kernowlass wrote:

@fkmonteiro

You escalate to a claim 7 days after paying and BEFORE the date given when the dispute automatically closes if you have not escalated.

Then you opened an unauthorised dispute which is telling Paypal your account had been hacked, when it hadn't...so that would be closed of course.

So to be honest if you had followed the dispute process properly you would have had your refund.

Login to Me Too

fkmonteiro
Contributor
Contributor

I mean, escalated to a claim**

@fkmonteiro wrote:

That's a lot of assumptions, isn't it?

The case was escalated into a dispute, and the due date for the dispute was expired as well. PayPal failed, and they continue to fail. I don't care (and can't care) about opening it right or wrong. For me it's simple - you buy a product, you either receive the product or your money back. I don't have to be an expert on PayPal's engines to get my money back. What's fair is fair, period. So you're saying it's ok to be scammed if you for some reason don't follow the right step-by-step process to get your refund (Which isn't my case since I did all by the book)?

Honestly this type of answer doesn't help at all... please keep those to yourself.

@kernowlass wrote:

@fkmonteiro

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fkmonteiro

I didn't assume which is why I added the maybe and ?...........I was giving possible reasons your dispute may have timed out.

And actually you can't 'escalate' to a dispute, you open a dispute and escalate to a CLAIM.

That was why I asked you about the dispute timing out as the date you gave seemed to match the 20 days.

As for the rest yes you are completely correct, if you don't get an item, and you open a dispute and escalate to a claim then if the seller can't prove trackable proof of delivery you get a refund UNLESS of course you paid via the friends / family route.

Millions receive / have received refunds for items that are not received and have no problem with the process, I have filed 3 claims and got refunds for all of them.

As I said I don't know where you missed out which is why I was querying how you did the process.

And my answers help loads of people as they equally learn the correct way to do things from reading posts on this forum, so...your welcome.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

fkmonteiro
Contributor
Contributor

@fkmonteiro wrote:

I'm here to share a very negative experience I'm sharing with eBay / PayPal and their Buyer Protection policy.

I've bought an item from eBay and paid with PayPal (983EUR). A few minutes later I've received an email from eBay saying it was a fake listing, not created by the account owner, and I should ask for a refund through PayPal - which I tried to do immediately.

When I logged into PayPal I saw a refund already being processed, so I thought everything was fine. A few days later though, I've received an email from PayPal saying my refund wasn't processed since it was cancelled by the seller (which is quite obvious since it's a scam in the first place).

Then I opened a Case - #PP-007-030-072-435 to finally request my refund, which had the due Date of June 29th. I haven't received any response from PayPal even after the due date, so I tried a new way of contact, this time through opening a case of unauthorized activity. Today I received an email saying that:

- I've made a mistake by opening this type of case since I should have e-mailed PayPal instead when I realized the due date for a reply expired

- Nothing else can be done and no forth case can be open due to "my mistake"

This is completely outrageous and disrespectful. I don't even know what to think about it to be honest.

Why - if eBay knew from the start that it was a scam - do I need to ask for a refund or do anything about it in the first place? Why eBay and PayPal don't figure it out automatically by themselves? Why PayPal can't keep up with the due dates provided by then and show respect for their customers? And lastly, why should I know it was a mistake to open the wrong type of case, and now have to suffer the consequences of it?

I really hope this can be solved without requiring a lawsuit, which honestly is the only thing I can think of now.

Ok, so what do you suggest me to do now?

- I can't open a new case for the same item since it says there's already one for it

- My old case (now closed) doesn't even appear anymore in the list of closed cases, it's vanished

- I've replied to the (quite offensive) message from PayPal's representative who said I've made a mistake and not surprisingly they didn't reply back

If there's a way to re-open a case I'd love to hear about it...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fkmonteiro

Yes there are things that you can do.

Someone may be along later that is happy to give up their time to assist you, good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

fkmonteiro
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

@fkmonteiro

Yes there are things that you can do.

Someone may be along later that is happy to give up their time to assist you, good luck.

As I thought, you have no clue after all...

Thanks for nothing, expert.

Please don't bother replying to this.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fkmonteiro

Really? After 10 years on here and selling I think I just may do.

As I said good luck.   Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

fkmonteiro
Contributor
Contributor

You're* 😉

@kernowlass wrote:

@fkmonteiro

Your welcome Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.