Buyer Attempted Refund During Dispute

Sarahserenade
Contributor
Contributor

So I purchased an item from a company using PayPal. I needed to return the item for a refund and followed the process the company provided. After the up to 15 days to receive a refund passed, I contacted the company. They requested a tracking number for the returned product, which I provided. Once I provided them with this, they stopped contacting me. So I filed a dispute via paypal. Now the company has emailed me saying they have tried to refund my money but they cannot because of the PayPal dispute and are asking me to dismiss it (so that they can). This sounds like they're not going to refund me my money after cancelling it and they just want me to cancel it. So my question is: while a buyer has filed a dispute against a seller in terms of not receiving a refund, is the seller una legal to provide said refund while there is an open dispute?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sarahserenade 

If you had to close a case to get a refund then it would be pointless having a dispute process at all.
NEVER close until you have a refund, if he refunds you then that would close the dispute automatically.
If he doesn't escalate to a claim.
Do not close it or he can ignore you (which is what he wants to do) and you can't open a second dispute OR re-open a closed one.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sarahserenade 

If you had to close a case to get a refund then it would be pointless having a dispute process at all.
NEVER close until you have a refund, if he refunds you then that would close the dispute automatically.
If he doesn't escalate to a claim.
Do not close it or he can ignore you (which is what he wants to do) and you can't open a second dispute OR re-open a closed one.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.