Bought an item with a debit card and never received- now paypal denied a refund

nakh1207
New Community Member

So I have bought an item off Etsy for $170 and it was never received or shipped. When I paid the merchant on paypal, I also got an email that said item shipped and received same day? This makes no sense since I paid May 7th at 8:38 PM and then the email said item was shipped and recieved on May  7th at 10:20 AM. Obviously the shipping is falsified, and more so seller has deleted their account on Etsy. The claim remains unresolved on Etsy and Paypal denied my claim because seller provided them with a tracking number (one that I never got unless it's the falsified one) so I sent screenshots and am hoping to get refunded. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I contacted my debit card company and am hoping they will refund me but now I just feel hopeless. Any advice? 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nakh1207 

If you disputed with your debit card after PayPal closed your dispute, resolve it with your debit card provider exclusively. Trying to resolve it through PayPal is no longer an option.

If you didn't go to your debit card for help, then you had to contact customer service to appeal the case. Bear in mind, PayPal is under staffed these days so getting in touch with them would have taken longer.

You must choose one venue to dispute at a time and if one recourse fails then you use through the other. They don't want people double dipping.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

nakh1207
New Community Member

Thanks for the response- completely understand the double dipping as that is not my intent, I just want my money back. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has actually had any success in reopening a dispute/ likelihood of getting the money back as it seems PayPal in this case is siding with merchant and in other posts I've read have also sided with merchant. I'm hoping my debit card company will pull through for me but if that doesn't work I'm really at a loss here. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.