Bought an item from a potential scam website

Plumdog249
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys

I've recently purchased a jersey from a website using PayPal. The website seemed pretty legit but i should have looked into it further before impulsively making the purchase. I couldn't find the website through google (immediate red flag in my books) and the address/phone number listed on their website is for a hotel in Manchester. 

I believe the site is a scam and i'm unsure what to do to get my money back. I have open a dispute but the only option i am given is "unauthorised transaction" which isn't exactly true so i'm not sure what to do next.

Should i wait for the claim to get resolved? should i ring up the customer service?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Plumdog249,

I'm sorry to hear that you believe that you have purchased from a scam website. If the only option available for the dispute was unauthorized transaction, that would indicate that you sent a payment as a Friends and Family transaction. Friends and Family transactions do not have Purchase Protection for Item Not Received or Significantly Not As Described reasons, the way that Goods and Services payments do. If you have opened a claim of unauthorized and the investigation shows that you did in fact make the payment, the case will be closed without a refund. 

I'm sorry that this has occurred. For future transactions, please make sure that you always send a payment as a Goods and Services payment to allow for the protection that PayPal can provide.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

CSKhai
Contributor
Contributor
I’m seeing lots of similar response from PayPal. Why can’t PayPal find a way to default it to “Goods and service” if it’s transcation between a merchant and a normal buyer? It’s almost like a **bleep** trap/pit fall intended to support scammers.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @CSKhai,

I'm sorry to hear that the transaction did not default to Goods and Services. Was the transaction initiated through a button or merchant checkout, or was it sent from your PayPal account using the Send Money option, or was it a PayPal.me link?

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.