Bogus websites paypal is linked to

SMarie1
Contributor
Contributor
Recently scammed out of $236 from a purchase i made with PayPal to a bogus website? Even after immediately realizing this and contacting PayPal, they offered no solution or the ability to cancel the "PENDING" payment!! They are aware of this ongoing problem but have no solutions?? I have read the lengthy legal agreement for sellers --PayPal has no security measures in place or FLAGS that identify illegitimate websites??? If you buy a dress from a store and you notice your payment went to an individual that lives in a different country and the seller is listed as a florist with a FRAUDULENT email with no address or phone number, WHY would PayPal authorize such a transaction that is clearly visible in the transaction summary but not on the WEBSITE I made my purchase??? I have learned that PayPal offers NO PROTECTION whatsoever for consumers!! My only recourse is to wait indefinitely for a dress I ordered not to be delivered to then file a dispute????
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SMarie1 

If its pending and remains pending then it will time out at 30 days post payment.

If its claimed then you can open a dispute for non receipt of item.

Paypal is offered to millions of sellers and companies and they don't 'vet' each one !!!

If they receive more than xxx amount of complaints then they would probably consider withdrawing their services from that company.

Other than that the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions AND you then have a certain amount of buyer protection to bail you out if you get scammed.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SMarie1 

If its pending and remains pending then it will time out at 30 days post payment.

If its claimed then you can open a dispute for non receipt of item.

Paypal is offered to millions of sellers and companies and they don't 'vet' each one !!!

If they receive more than xxx amount of complaints then they would probably consider withdrawing their services from that company.

Other than that the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions AND you then have a certain amount of buyer protection to bail you out if you get scammed.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SMarie1
Contributor
Contributor
This is a problem I learned the hard way. However, if I realized this was FRAUDULENT immediately after I made my purchase (because this payment was sent to an unnamed source linked to another email in CHINA), WHY couldn't PayPal assist me in cancelling this transaction if the seller did not receive it as it was PENDING??? It is ALSO my opinion that the sellers account information (email address, and WHO the payment is sent to should be the same as the company you're purchasing from AND if it isn't, should be immediately flagged and unable to process!!! THIS is a standard, fundamental account set up process that I'm sure even PayPal would agree with! It is clear to me that using PAYPAL is at your own risk regardless of their (2) stated recourse actions. Being 'scammed' is becoming more and more of a universal problem than ever before. These companies have to step up their game!!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SMarie1 

Because paypals system is automatic and pending payments either are claimed or time out at 30 days.

And paypal have flagged it up as it has not COMPLETED so the payment HAS NOT BEEN SENT to that company.

So as it will probably not complete you will get it back 30 days post payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SMarie1
Contributor
Contributor
There is nothing in my responses to YOUR reply that would qualify deleting my posts? A volunteer that can easily respond and give her own personal opinion and somehow has the authorization to delete my post??
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SMarie1 

As i said this is a 'user to user' forum, so YOU can easily respond and so can I ...why would you think it is only yourself that can post replies !!!

Secondly I haven't remove any of your posts, I don't have the option to do that. If any of your posts were removed (or mine) then it would have been one of the moderators that do work for Paypal.

Again try READING how things work.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

spike61
Contributor
Contributor

I just went through the same thing. I needed an oven thermostat from a "professional range" I found one on a site (Tuctox was the name of the site) ) for a reasonable price and ordered it. Within an hour I had a bad feeling that the site was bogus. I went back to the site and read the terms and conditions and shipping info, contact information, etc.  
As it turns out, there were 3 other sites selling the same part with different domain names but all three were identical in every way.
They have hundreds of items for sale with high-quality pictures and descriptions. All three of these sites used PayPal as their funding source. Clearly, these 'people' are major scammers and I'm sure they have reaped tens of thousands of dollars via PayPal.
If this goes the way I'm thinking it's going to go, I will NEVER use PayPal of eBay again.

Login to Me Too

Frankie19
Contributor
Contributor
Yes but you will still not now or ever get a refund 😏😏😏😏I think PayPal are part of the Chinese Mafia that are running this company 😏😏😏
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.