cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**Beware**Gumtree**Scam**

Contributor

Re: **Beware**Gumtree**Scam**

It’s now March 2018 and I have just had the same message.

Omg the same thing has happened to me this morning she sent me exactly tbe same email, I gave her my postcode as she wanted it for delivery for the couriers. I then received an email that a payment of £450 odd quid has left Sandra's account but in order for me to claim the £190 for my item I was selling I had to pay £260 odd quid. I then realised I was about to be scammed I emailed the person back confirming that I refuse to make this transaction, have cancelled it and have asked this person not to contact me again.

Hi all,

Any time you receive an email about activity on your PayPal account, the safest way to confirm the emails’ validity is to log in to your PayPal account via the PayPal website (not using the links in the email received). Any of the activity reported in the email will be available to view. When you receive a payment, you’ll see the money in your account right away. Even if it was placed in your pending balance, you’ll see this. We want you to have complete visibility of your money. Forward any suspicious emails or websites to spoof@paypal.co.uk . If we know the email, you will receive an email to confirm whether PayPal sent it. If it’s not known to us we will immediately investigate and extract all malicious content.

Intars

Contributor

Yes just today .. housebound. Wheelchair .. wanted to pay PalPal, I thought nothing of it and gave account name.... should I be concerned?
Contributor

Can someone tell me if any of their details were stolen? This is currently a similar scam happening to myself in australia.
Esteemed Advisor

@Dodoe

If its a spoof email then the only details that they would have would be the ones that you have given them.

None of the transaction would have happened on paypals site apart from the fact that you may have sent them an invoice or money request to which they replied with a spoof email pretending to be from paypal.

Advice is VOLUNTARILY given.
Please leave Kudos / Solution if I have helped you.
New Community Member

I listed a laser printer on Gumtree this morning and got an enthusiastic email from a Rose Lewis this evening using <removed>.

I received

Great! i am willing to pay your full asking price as i urgently need to buy it for my cousin but due to my health conditions (hearing loss and i'm presently in a wheelchair) i will not be able to come personally for pick up.I have read through the advert and i'm satisfied with it.

I have a mover that would help me to pick it up at your location after payment has been received,i'll be paying you via PayPal. If you could tell me your location, i'll contact the mover now.

I thought it slightly strange but asked her where she lived and she replied "Dudley village". Unfortunately I provided my name, address and PayPal email before getting a twitch and searching the name which led me here. Beware folks. It's a long while since I was caught out like this so I'll be monitoring my accounts and ID's

Contributor

Happened to me on Tuesday night. Stupidity fell for it. She is called Lisa Roy now. I stupidity gave her my name address and email for PayPal. So a bit worried about scam coming through my door now. She sent a fake PayPal invoice. I got a bit concerned when it read pay £300 delivery with money gram. Googled money gram and found out it was a scam. Really **bleep** off at the moment as this is my 2nd scam this week.
Contributor

This has just happened to me & I'm shocked! I am quite a trusting person but do generally google things first, I gave my name, home address & email address but then heard no more?!
Contributor

Yes, me too.  Just attempted today after I posted an ad on Gumtree.  Same email from her, almost identical.  Wanted to know how she would pay me, I told her Paypal, now silent after emailing me all day about the goods.  Very annoyed, wish I'd Googled the email address first.