cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**Beware**Gumtree**Scam**

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: **Beware**Gumtree**Scam**

I've had almost the same emails after responding to a Text Message that came from NO Number just "ADD" after I posted and advert yesterday evening for a mobile phone on Gumtree.

Email said "Please consider it sold and take the ads down. I am interested in buying it right off and am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location .

Regarding the payment i can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now." 

Tags (1)
Highlighted

June 2019 and still happening.

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi guys,

Just a heads up, there is a new one:

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being on wheelchair. I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. 
Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

She "apparently" has sent me £510 - £250 for the product I am selling, and £260 that she wants me to withdraw and send to a dodgy recipient in Nigeria.

Nope, nope, nope. 
Tags (1)
Highlighted

Did you ever get the money into your PayPal account? It’s fun to string them along, you never know, they might mess up and actually send the money 🤣
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@Urbanlads

Don't do that, they have been known to add your email address to some 'nasty' websites.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
I do not work for Paypal.
Highlighted

Same person tried it with my husband lucky I googled her name and found this link before it was too late
Highlighted
Contributor

How did you resolve this with PayPal same thing happening to me
Highlighted
New Community Member

Same scam here. Nearly fell for it and thought I'd google her and check Facebook. Then found this thread. Her email read: Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my cousin and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location. Regarding the payment i can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now? Awaiting your reply soon...
Highlighted
New Community Member

Noticed the date on yours is March, we are into June and it's still happening.
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@b3ll

Been ongoing for the 10 years that i have been posting on these boards.

Scammers are not going to stop whilst folks are still falling for the scams unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
I do not work for Paypal.