**Beware**Gumtree**Scam**

Temp20221108A
Contributor
Contributor

I posted several items on gumtree for sale and received a text from a woman called **** ***** asking if I still had an item (the most expensive one on the list) and to email her.

Eager to sell the item, I obliged and emailed her. She replied with the following:

Great! please consider both sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap,

i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,

sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal once you are ready.

Kindly get back to me with your location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

I replied asking if she was local to me and if a bank transfer or cash on collection would be possible. She ignored the 1st question and said she has no access to bank because she is house bound. Then gave me a link to PayPal.

After repeatedly asking where she was from and only getting her email address as a reply, I googled her name and came across a thread detailing the email I received but using a different name. So be careful. **** ***** (******** at ****.***) 

Login to Me Too
220 REPLIES 220

JP88
New Community Member

Scam is still going on!!! They tried to catch my fiance out today! <removed> and <removed>. Threads all over the internet for the phone number - scam scam scam.

Login to Me Too

Lightfoot19
Contributor
Contributor

I initially did not know about this scam (naive) and I sent them a link to my PayPal email. Can they gain anything from this?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lightfoot19

Not unless you gave them your password as well !!!!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MrsKatieP
This happened to me with a wedding dress. A couple of hours later I got another phishing message from a woman claiming she has no online banking but has PayPal. This time the person was too busy at work to collect in person.
Login to Me Too

Foxaxel
Contributor
Contributor
A few hours ago I posted a sofa and immediately I received an SMS from an USA phone number asking me to email. I emailed and this was the reply: Great! please consider is sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it, sadly i would not be able to come personally for collection due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound. I would appreciate it you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now Something did not felt right so a quick search of the email address brought me hear. Now I am trying to make them loose time while I have fun xD
Login to Me Too

Lynnesears
Contributor
Contributor

I further had a fictions proof from PayPal the money has been paid to my account and a further threatening to prosecute me fictitious one from PayPal. The money was to be paid to someone in Nigeria. A long way to deliver my Guntree item don’t you think? Reported it to PayPal and sent them and their wheelchair a nasty email. 

Login to Me Too

Beverley83
I also had a message asking if my phone was still for sale. Asked for my email address and said they will send money and I send the phone. What is the scan? What can they so with my email address?
Login to Me Too

Beverley83
What is the scan? What can they do with my email address
Login to Me Too

Foxaxel
Contributor
Contributor

They will probably send you a fake email which look like a PayPal genuine email saying you have received a payment in your account. 

1st you may send the item thinking you have the money.

2nd the email brings you to a fake web which looks like PayPal login to steal your user and password

Then they can pay using your account and potentially receive the item.

Watch out!

Login to Me Too

Beverley83
What do I need to do now then? I haven't clicked on to any links. Changed my paypal password. Many Thanks
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.