**Beware**Gumtree**Scam**

Temp20221108A
Contributor
Contributor

I posted several items on gumtree for sale and received a text from a woman called **** ***** asking if I still had an item (the most expensive one on the list) and to email her.

Eager to sell the item, I obliged and emailed her. She replied with the following:

Great! please consider both sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap,

i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,

sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal once you are ready.

Kindly get back to me with your location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

I replied asking if she was local to me and if a bank transfer or cash on collection would be possible. She ignored the 1st question and said she has no access to bank because she is house bound. Then gave me a link to PayPal.

After repeatedly asking where she was from and only getting her email address as a reply, I googled her name and came across a thread detailing the email I received but using a different name. So be careful. **** ***** (******** at ****.***) 

Login to Me Too
220 REPLIES 220

b3ll
New Community Member
Noticed the date on yours is March, we are into June and it's still happening.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@b3ll

Been ongoing for the 10 years that i have been posting on these boards.

Scammers are not going to stop whilst folks are still falling for the scams unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Hollyhocks-43
Contributor
Contributor

It’s now March 2018 and I have just had the same message.

Login to Me Too

NA21
Omg the same thing has happened to me this morning she sent me exactly tbe same email, I gave her my postcode as she wanted it for delivery for the couriers. I then received an email that a payment of £450 odd quid has left Sandra's account but in order for me to claim the £190 for my item I was selling I had to pay £260 odd quid. I then realised I was about to be scammed I emailed the person back confirming that I refuse to make this transaction, have cancelled it and have asked this person not to contact me again.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Intars

Hi all,

Any time you receive an email about activity on your PayPal account, the safest way to confirm the emails’ validity is to log in to your PayPal account via the PayPal website (not using the links in the email received). Any of the activity reported in the email will be available to view. When you receive a payment, you’ll see the money in your account right away. Even if it was placed in your pending balance, you’ll see this. We want you to have complete visibility of your money. Forward any suspicious emails or websites to spoof@paypal.co.uk . If we know the email, you will receive an email to confirm whether PayPal sent it. If it’s not known to us we will immediately investigate and extract all malicious content.

Intars

Login to Me Too

WavyDavy
Contributor
Contributor
Yes just today .. housebound. Wheelchair .. wanted to pay PalPal, I thought nothing of it and gave account name.... should I be concerned?
Login to Me Too

Dodoe
Contributor
Contributor
Can someone tell me if any of their details were stolen? This is currently a similar scam happening to myself in australia.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dodoe

If its a spoof email then the only details that they would have would be the ones that you have given them.

None of the transaction would have happened on paypals site apart from the fact that you may have sent them an invoice or money request to which they replied with a spoof email pretending to be from paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

CCRacer
New Community Member

I listed a laser printer on Gumtree this morning and got an enthusiastic email from a Rose Lewis this evening using <removed>.

I received

Great! i am willing to pay your full asking price as i urgently need to buy it for my cousin but due to my health conditions (hearing loss and i'm presently in a wheelchair) i will not be able to come personally for pick up.I have read through the advert and i'm satisfied with it.

I have a mover that would help me to pick it up at your location after payment has been received,i'll be paying you via PayPal. If you could tell me your location, i'll contact the mover now.

I thought it slightly strange but asked her where she lived and she replied "Dudley village". Unfortunately I provided my name, address and PayPal email before getting a twitch and searching the name which led me here. Beware folks. It's a long while since I was caught out like this so I'll be monitoring my accounts and ID's

Login to Me Too

Bubble-mum
Contributor
Contributor
Happened to me on Tuesday night. Stupidity fell for it. She is called Lisa Roy now. I stupidity gave her my name address and email for PayPal. So a bit worried about scam coming through my door now. She sent a fake PayPal invoice. I got a bit concerned when it read pay £300 delivery with money gram. Googled money gram and found out it was a scam. Really **bleep** off at the moment as this is my 2nd scam this week.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.