**Beware**Gumtree**Scam**

Temp20221108A
Contributor
Contributor

I posted several items on gumtree for sale and received a text from a woman called **** ***** asking if I still had an item (the most expensive one on the list) and to email her.

Eager to sell the item, I obliged and emailed her. She replied with the following:

Great! please consider both sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap,

i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,

sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal once you are ready.

Kindly get back to me with your location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

I replied asking if she was local to me and if a bank transfer or cash on collection would be possible. She ignored the 1st question and said she has no access to bank because she is house bound. Then gave me a link to PayPal.

After repeatedly asking where she was from and only getting her email address as a reply, I googled her name and came across a thread detailing the email I received but using a different name. So be careful. **** ***** (******** at ****.***) 

Login to Me Too
220 REPLIES 220

NornIronPool1
Contributor
Contributor

I've had almost the same emails after responding to a Text Message that came from NO Number just "ADD" after I posted and advert yesterday evening for a mobile phone on Gumtree.

Email said "Please consider it sold and take the ads down. I am interested in buying it right off and am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location .

Regarding the payment i can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now." 

Login to Me Too

grannybah

June 2019 and still happening.

Login to Me Too

NatS77
Contributor
Contributor
January 2021 as well
Login to Me Too

NatS77
Contributor
Contributor
I had a ‘ buyer’ state that his boss needs to buy my couch. Can I have you email. Boss contacted me: John Smith. Says he’s in the army needs furniture transported. Can only use PayPal. Asked for PayPal email to pay. I have it to him. Do you know what they can do with my PayPal email? I blocked his email.
Login to Me Too

sarahamos91
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

Just a heads up, there is a new one:

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being on wheelchair. I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. 
Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

She "apparently" has sent me £510 - £250 for the product I am selling, and £260 that she wants me to withdraw and send to a dodgy recipient in Nigeria.

Nope, nope, nope. 
Login to Me Too

Urbanlads
Did you ever get the money into your PayPal account? It’s fun to string them along, you never know, they might mess up and actually send the money 🤣
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Urbanlads

Don't do that, they have been known to add your email address to some 'nasty' websites.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Same person tried it with my husband lucky I googled her name and found this link before it was too late
Login to Me Too

RhysPemberton19
Contributor
Contributor
How did you resolve this with PayPal same thing happening to me
Login to Me Too

Trudemclaren
New Community Member
Same scam here. Nearly fell for it and thought I'd google her and check Facebook. Then found this thread. Her email read: Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my cousin and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location. Regarding the payment i can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now? Awaiting your reply soon...
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.