Being Scammed by Buyer (I think)

michpich32
Contributor
Contributor

please help with some advice. my son sold a pair of trainers for £750. Everything as described. My son sent the trainers next day delivery. Now the buyer, has sent a picture of the box ripped stating that he does not want to accept the trainers. The box was in pristine condition when sent (have pics to prove) and I believe the box was ripped on purpose as no other damage has been done (as in partially flatened in transit etc).

Now he is saying he wants my son to send him £5 to get the trainers back to him. I just think this is a scam, and I'm not sure what to do. I actually believe he may be trying to swap them for a fake pair or something, I really really don't know what to do.

The guy is saying you better do what I say as if I file through paypal - i'll win anyway. Can you guys offer any guidance please (we are in the UK

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@michpich32

If he opens a dispute and only IF paypal find in his favour then he would have to send the shoes back to you 'trackable to prove delivery' before you have to refund.

If he does not send back the item he received then make sure you photograph / video you opening the package and then appeal asap. If you lose then as long as the buyer is in the UK as well you can take him to the small claims court and have a good chance of winning there as long as you gather as much info as you can including all his messages etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

michpich32
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you very much for your helpful information. I would assume he has to pay for return postage?!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor
Yep.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.