Bank payment marked as PayPal:an impasse

FlyingDutchman1
Contributor
Contributor

Back in December of last year I had a transaction pass through my bank account, marked as PayPal, which I hadn't authorised.  For one reason or another I didn't spot this until I received my bank statement at the end of February.

Therefore, I decided to call PayPal to report this and was told what the payment was for (I think through ebay) and how it was transacted (guest payment, I think).  Information was passed across and I was told that it would be looked into.

Within 24 hours I received a response saying that the case has been closed:

'We've completed our investigation and as there is insufficient evidence to support your claim, we've denied your claim of unauthorised card usage.'

I asked what information would be required, to which I was asked for transaction ID and case number.  As I didn't have a case number I decided to call PayPal again this morning to open one.

After much holding on the line I eventually spoke to someone and explained the case.  I was eventually told that the case had been closed and I explained that I'd responded to that notification.  They clearly didn't/couldn't/wouldn't see that response and the subsequent request for more information and continued to press that the case was closed.  I was told that they would do nothing with the information that I provided, to which I responsed 'why I was asked for it'?  I also queried how the person I'd spoken to before had identified what the transaction was for and how it was done, to which they had no answer.  Very worrying!

I'm now at an impasse as I don't have a case number to give to the respondent, although I will chase the transaction ID from my bank.

Has anyone else had this problem and how was it resolved, if at all?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.