BROKEN ITEM BEING RETURNED TO ME THAT PAY PAL EXPECT ME TO REFUND ON

john184
Contributor
Contributor

Buyer allowed to send back an a watch they broke , despite ebay closed in my favour.

Buyer bought an antique pocket watch from me ,  24 hrs after receiving  it  said it was broken hands and hinges , The watch was serviced pristine prior to postage and ,I can prove that .  They opened a return in ebay and within  7 hrs  they  escalated with ebay who  closed in my favour  and  then ,   came here to pay pal . They sent pictures showing me how they broke it  and so I know ,I am getting it back, broken ! , Pay pal took a week to come to the decision, they are refunding the buyer and telling them to send it back .to me broken  and I am supposed to accept this ?  What protection is there ,for  sellers in this position if  any  ? This cannot be right , I have a pristine account on ebay and pay pal  and this  seems , incredibly unfair , anyone ?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@john184

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute it is always one persons word against anothers.

Paypal do not see what you say you sent and they equally don't see what the buyer say they received.

So yes they tend to find in favour of the buyer BUT the buyer has to send the item back to you (trackable to prove delivery) first before you have to refund.

Its just one of the risks of online selling unfortunately but to be honest its no different than a buyer on the high street returning an item they bought because it has a 'mark' on it and the store have to refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

john184
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, for the   speedy reply  ,  the watch I can prove via  horologist   was serviced and definitely not brokem hands and hinges  that I sent  .  Why would i  put my account on ebay in jeopardy .   I am sure a shop on the high street wouldn't  accept me taking a  £200 watch out of their shop dropping it  ,then returning it for a refund ? So not quite so  clean cut as you assumed ,in the reply ?  The buyer  has shown me they have  broken it   now want  refiund ,   thanks any way.

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

this is the way it works when you sell on a venue and accept Paypal payment.

if you have your own brick and mortar store,or ecmommerce site,you can refuse but they will go to their cc issuer/

once I  have some picture frame done by a shop and it was done wrong, cc issuer said I must return it firt but they refuse  to take it back.

so I have to take them to small claims court and won.

you don't really have much leeway as a seller,just make enough to offset some losses. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.